Poll: What Type of Aeration do you use?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What method do you use to aerate your wort?

• I don't aerate (just top off w/ water)

• Pouring wort back & forth

• Shaking the fermentor

• Mechanical Mixer (Paint or Drywall Mixer w/ a Drill)

• Racking Nozzle

• Aquarium Pump

• Oxygen w/ .5 micron stone

• Oxygen w/ 2 micron stone

• Bicycle Pump fitted with a shower head on hose

• Too drunk, normally forget to do this....

Results are only viewable after voting.

Schlenkerla

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
What kind of aeration device do you use?

I bought an aeration kit from the LHBS. Its for the typical air pump set-up w/ the hose, filter & stone. No pump. I wanted to go with oxygen so I got this particular kit and a O2 regulator.

I went to a HB meeting and was talking about this and the conversation turned to the micron size of the stone. .5 or 2

I got a 2. Then I was told I need to take it back and get .5 micron. They said a 2 micro won't work as good.

Is this correct? Does it really matter? BTW - I haven't it yet..

Were you going to add a poll to this? ;)

I don't aerate other than letting the chilled wort splash into the carboy as I pump it in. Not really aerating at all I guess. Never had a problem.

I just give the carboy a good 5 minute shake...always seems to work fine for me.

I use a SS stone and Oxygen bottle....After the first use, I too a piece of racking cane and mounted it between the hose and the stone (Williams Brewing sells a unit with a wand on it.)

The williams website says the stone is 2 microns.....

I don't know if it really matters as long as it is bubbling O2 into your wort....It's probably a matter of prefrence, and like so much in this hobby, if you don't do it a certain brewer's preferred way then you are doing it wrong in their eyes.

Even entire clubs can believe in something...I was shocked when I went to my nephews brewclub how noone use the stockpots that came with their turkey fryers....you know, the old alzhymer's fear...I had to slap some of those fool aside the head to set them straight.

The only aeration my beer gets is going from the keggle to the primary though a strainer. It's worked just fine for me thus far.

Pretty much always add Olive Oil to the starter or to the re-hydrator bowl.

I used to Oxygenate using a stone but have had better result with OO.

Put my face in my kettle and go " bulabablllllllla bulabaabla".

motorboat.jpg

I used to just pitch back on forth from my bottle bucket to the primary bucket. But its a little harder to do that with a conical. So I bought a .5 micron stone and regulator kit from morebeer and havent looked back. I was told the .5 is better because you get smaller bubbles but many more so more surface area. But really never had a problem with aeration. I also use it for starters I hit it twice a day with 02.

I always pour back and forth from bottling bucket to fermentor. It has always work well for me. When I finally jump to 10gal batches I will need to find something else...

.5 micron= smaller bubbles= more surface area= less o2 needed for same amount of aeration= more batches from same bottle= cheaper. the total amount of dissolved O2 is dependent on the temp of the wort(colder holds more,faster) and the length of time aerated.

Hmm... anyone got a recipe for a honeydew melon beer??? :D

I have tried and tried to get my wife to let me put her honeydews in my beer but, she just won't go for it :confused:. Best I can get from her is to mix them in a salad. She always insists that since she grew and maintains them, she gets to choose how they get enjoyed. At least she only shares them with me (as far as I know).

I have tried and tried to get my wife to let me put her honeydews in my beer but, she just won't go for it :confused:. Best I can get from her is to mix them in a salad.

:confused::confused::confused:

Licking beer of off honeydews may be an option to consider in that case.

I just shake the heck out of my fermentor. Then again, I am still only doing partial boils so I have some dissolved O2 in my top off water. Once I go all grain I am thinking about getting an aeration system of some kind.

I didn't see an option for "Shake that ***** like it owes you money" option, so I chose the next best thing.

I didn't see an option for "Shake that ***** like it owes you money" option, so I chose the next best thing.

Holy hell, that quote just brought to my mind one of my favorite-ever Chapelle's Show skits, [ame="http://www.comedycentral.com/videos/index.jhtml?videoId=11918&title=fun-at-kneehigh-park"]Kneehigh Park[/ame]. Holy god I can't stop laughing at that clip.

Fo da first time in my life, I'm fiiinaly free! No mansion for me, I said F*ck It. No brandnew humvee, I say F*ck it. But you'll get no *****....F*ck It. What you don't understand, is I make love to my hand. So I don't need you honey...I beat my dick like it owes me money!

So awesome.

Back