Probiotics Test For Life

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jak1010

Reaction score
So for the last week, I've been taking Probiotics. The bottle was refrigerated in the store and has to be kept that way after taking it home. The bottke was $40 and, a week later and I was curious to know if they're actually alive. After a quick Google search, I found an easy test using milk.

They say to take a glass, pour a bit of milk inside and leave it as a control. Take a second glass, pour the same amount of milk and break open a probiotic capsule and pure the contents into the milk. Leave both glasses out at room temourature.

After 18-24 hours, the control milk (just milk) should look normal. The milk with the probiotics should look drastically different. If your pills are alive, they should eat the proteins and actually curdle the milk.

Well, I use 3 glasses. 1 for regular milk, 1 with a capsule for the men's formula and 1 for the women's formula.

I did this at 2pm today and wasn't sure what to expect. Take a look below.

The glass on the left is just straight up milk (control) the glass in the middle has 1 capsule of the men's probiotics and the glass on the right has 1 capsule of the women's probiotics. It's been less than 12 hrs and I think it's safe to say that I have live product.

Anything I can do with this or should I just toss it. It smells like vanilla scented sour cream.

View attachment 1424499460539.jpg

Cool test. I take probiotics and always wonder about their efficiency..
Thanks for sharing......

It's actually kinda cool to see.

I've been making beer, wine and mead for years and I'm considering getting into cheese making as well as fermenting veggies such as cabbage and beets.

The act of the probiotics breaking down milk was fascinating to me.

Latest posts

Back