Fuller's London Porter clone - OG 1.062 high?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Adaman05

Reaction score
Hi all,

I brewed a Fuller's London Porter extract clone I found online somewhere. The recipe called for a 2.5 gallon boil, but after I steeped the specialty grains, I bumped it up to a full 5 gallon boil, then topped off at the end after some wort evaporated. I ended up with an original gravity reading of 1.062. Is that normal based on this recipe? I was expecting something around the 1.52-55 range based on the ABV from the original. I should also note that we forgot to take the gravity reading until immediately after we pitched our starter, though I don't think that would make a difference. Anyhow, here is the recipe:

1 lb. British Crystal 55L
10 0z. British Chocolate Malt
4 oz. briess special roast

Remove the pot from the heat and steep at 150 degrees for 30 minutes.

Remove grains.

Bring water to a boil, remove from heat and add.

6# M&F Light DME
6 oz. Malto Dextrin
2 oz. Fuggles at 4.8% AA

Boil for 45 minutes then add:

1/4 oz. Fuggles
1 whirlfloc tablet

Boil for 15 more minutes.

Pitched with 1968 London ESB yeast starter.

Your og is right on target for your ingredients added. I used the BrewR app on my droid.

Awesome, thanks for plugging that in! I'll have to get that app. This is my first time using maltodextrin and second time taking hydro readings. Where do you think my fg should end up?

It shows on wyeast that london esb will finish a little sweet. I have no idea where it will stop. But after a couple weeks. Take a hydro sample a few days apart from eachother. If it stays the same then your fermentation is complete and ready to bottle.

Sounds good. To secondary or not secondary is my next question. I've read threads where people recommend getting the beer off this particular yeast cake sooner rather than later. Originally, I was planning on leaving in the primary for 2.5 weeks and then checking the readings a few days apart, and then bottling if it was ready. Now, I'm debating transferring to a secondary for a while to finish and clean up. Decisions, decisions.

Thanks for the advice.

I wouldnt secondary... just bottle after fermenration is over and start another 1

Yeah, could do that and let it sit in bottles for about 6 weeks until cracking one.

Took a hydro reading last night and it's down to 1.020. Currently, it's at 5.5%, which is spot on. Will take another reading in a few days, but we may just leave it in the primary for a while before bottling. My Surly Furious batch is currently taking up our bottles, and we don't really want to go out and get more. The hydro sample tasted fantastic! Probably going to prime with 3.7 oz corn sugar when we get around to it.

The longer it sits the better it will be :) enjoy your furious! Remeber, more bottles needed is an excuse to get good craft beer to try!

The longer it sits the better it will be :) enjoy your furious! Remeber, more bottles needed is an excuse to get good craft beer to try!

This is not an issue :cross: We like to bottle in 22 ounce bombers, so I've been saving all of those that I've been getting. Lately it's been Three Floyds Dreadnaught, Arctic Panzer Wolf, and BrooDoo.

Oh man I wish I could get 3f... been wanting to try. Out here in nm we get magic hat and most west coast brews but thats it....

Cracked open my first Fuller's clone. It's been in the bottle 3 weeks. It's fantastic! Color and carbonation is spot on. Very delicious. VERY close to the real deal, when tasting back to back. Easily my best brew yet. I'm *really* hoping my Zombie Dust clone will take the cake for my best brew when it's ready...

Cracked open my first Fuller's clone. It's been in the bottle 3 weeks. It's fantastic! Color and carbonation is spot on. Very delicious. VERY close to the real deal, when tasting back to back. Easily my best brew yet. I'm *really* hoping my Zombie Dust clone will take the cake for my best brew when it's ready...

Save a porter for me ;P. I'm a sucker for em

Hey Adaman, thanks for the recipe. I'm going to buy the ingredients and do this for my next batch. I just had Fuller's London Porter for the first time about 2 weeks ago. It managed to knock Sierra Nevada's 2013 Narwhal off of my top spot.

On a side note, are you from Colorado? There are a group of guys that hike up Pikes Peak before New Year's and launch fireworks. They call themselves Adaman because they used to add one person every year.

Hey Adaman, thanks for the recipe. I'm going to buy the ingredients and do this for my next batch. I just had Fuller's London Porter for the first time about 2 weeks ago. It managed to knock Sierra Nevada's 2013 Narwhal off of my top spot.

On a side note, are you from Colorado? There are a group of guys that hike up Pikes Peak before New Year's and launch fireworks. They call themselves Adaman because they used to add one person every year.

Sorry, not one of those guys from Colorado. I reside in Madison, WI. My handle is a combination of my first and last names (most of the letters).

Have fun brewing the porter! I'm still floored at how well it came out.

Back