Red Coat Ale: English-American IPA clash

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hammacks

Reaction score
Have any of you had Arcadia's IPA? I enjoyed it a lot. Arcadia uses a bit of an English approach towards their beers. They claim to use UK grains with US Pacific NW hops (that means the C's to me?). The result is very good.

The beer is no hop bomb at ~40 IBUs (ABV ~6%). Almost a borderline pale ale. It does have plenty hop flavor that is American for sure, but a little more floral rather than citrusy. There is a bit of firm bitterness and decent floral aroma. Malt flavor is English. It is toasty with light caramel sweetness rather than the toffee/dark fruit taste of darker crystals. Finish is balanced, and pretty crisp. I don't think they use an English yeast. I wish I had another here because it's been a couple weeks, but that is how I remember it. Hopefully some who have had it can comment.

Here's my attempt at a similar beer, working with what I have...

Bunker Hill IPA
(I've decided that it's too American for Red Coat)

Batch Size: 5.50 gal
Boil Size: 6.30 gal
Estimated OG: 1.060 SG
Estimated Color: 10.3 SRM
Estimated IBU: 40.2 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: 75.0 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
11.50 lb Briess Pale Ale Malt (2 Row) (3.5 SRM)
0.5 lb Biscuit Malt (23 SRM)
0.5 lb Munich Malt 20L (20 SRM)---Will probably eliminate
0.5 lb Crystal 60L (60 SRM)---Will probably bump up to 1 lb

0.50 oz Centennial [10.40%] (60 min) 21.1 IBU
0.75 oz Centennial [10.40%] (15 min) 8.4 IBU
0.50 oz Cascade [6.30%] (20 min) 4.3 IBU
0.50 oz Centennial [10.40%] (10 min) 4.2 IBU
0.50 oz Cascade [6.30%] (10 min) 2.6 IBU
1.00 oz Centennial [10.40%] (0 min)
Half of the IBU's are late for more flavor. No cascade flameout to limit grapefruit taste/aroma.

Mash at 154

2 packs Notty or 05? I'm thinking the 05.

Hm! As written, I think I'd like a pint of that beer (though I find little enthusiasm for "C" hops).

May I offer a few suggestions?

First, consider using Maris Otter for the base malt. In combination with Biscuit, the beer will have a lovely crakery, bready warmth.

Second, consider deleting the Munich. In the amounts written, the Biscuit will easily overpower it.

Third, if the beer being replicated has notes of dark Crystal malts, how come you haven't listed any? Perhaps 4 oz or so of 90 - 120L Crystal or Special B is in order.

Fourth, I think it unwise to mash at so high a temperature. You run the risk of taking the beer out of balance with excessive body.

Fifth, either Nottingham or 05 will ferment quite cleanly, without excessive ester production. It's flip a coin time. ;)

Never having tasted the beer in question, it's hard for me to offer any insight on your proposed hops schedule.

Good luck!

Bob

Hm, one of my local distributors just got a keg of Arcardia IPA for growler fills. I might have to give some a try.

Arcadia says they dry-hop with Columbus--you might want to try it with a little of your Centennial.

Thanks for the responses guys.
First, consider using Maris Otter for the base malt. In combination with Biscuit, the beer will have a lovely crakery, bready warmth.

As far a MO, I probably should get some. The Briess Pale Ale is $.66/lb vs ~$1.00/lb for MO and I have the Briess on hand. I was hoping to slip by without a (fairly long) trip to to the LHBS by using biscuit to augment the Pale Ale (I've heard it is British like but doesn't hold up to MO).

I should probably just suck it, go shopping and make the better beer.

Third, if the beer being replicated has notes of dark Crystal malts, how come you haven't listed any? Perhaps 4 oz or so of 90 - 120L Crystal or Special B is in order.

I meant to say it has a lighter crystal taste rather than darker. I left out the rather so it isn't so clear. I'll edit

Fourth, I think it unwise to mash at so high a temperature. You run the risk of taking the beer out of balance with excessive body.

150-152. Yeah that makes much more sense.

I like the idea and do a similar thing.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f66/fat-owl-pale-ale-55221/

Here's what olllllo thought of it

niquejim's Fat Owl Pale (APA?)

Appearance: Copper with tint of Orange and moderate clarity. Low head.
Aroma: Malty caramel sweet with medium hop.
Flavor: Finishes with a crisp and clean bitterness with some resinous and citrusy character. A little fruity and caramel sweet.
Mouthfeel: Medium body with crispy carbonation bite.

Overall impression: This is a very enjoyable beer, but a little perplexing stylewise.
The grain profile and taste seem to fit an English Pale 8C. Getting some sweet malty and caramel flavors which don't square with an APA. Bitterness is prominent as well as hop flavor but I wasn't getting the Cascade aroma like I would expect from an APA. Carbonation was more fitting of an APA. It would be interesting to try this with an English hop. Good job. A real tasty "discussion" beer.

ooh that looks good. How sweet is it with the 1 lb 60L and carapils?

Back