LHBS said better to do partial boil?!?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brewme

Reaction score
I am doing a Russian Imperial Stout and my local HB store said it would help the malt (extract) caramelize if I boil 3 gallons instead of all 5 (which I have capability to do). Everything I have read suggests a full boil is always better. What do you think?

Well, unless you want it to caramelize for some reason (which I never have and seems kind of odd to me), I'd think a full boil would be better. Maybe your LHBS just didn't want to make the hop adjustment?

That could be the case I guess, since the hops were already sealed in a foil wrap. How would I make those adjustments (new guy asking here).

You are right the shop is wrong. Full boil is better. The beer is not meant to be "Carmelized".

Forrest

I am so glad to have good LHBS people... with all the horror stories lately it makes me feel really lucky. Thanks Rich and Rich's mom at Bitter Creek and Brad at Homebrew Depot! You guys are da Bomb!!!

I was surprised that they told me this too, after reading on this forum. The scary thing for me was that he really seemed to know what he was talking about other than this. Hmm...I hope he put all my ingredients together correctly.

About the hops...I will post my full recipe onlione tonight when i get home. Will I likely be adding more hops than with a partial boil?

The best extract beer I ever made was Anchor Porter clone from Austin Homebrew. I steeped the grains in hot tap water in the kettle, then filled it to the 7 gallon mark with RO water for a full boil. It turned out very tasty.

Sometimes the hired help is not too much of a brewer but the owner turned him loose on the public because he was cheap help. You get what you pay for.
Customer beware!

Sometimes the hired help is not too much of a brewer but the owner turned him loose on the public because he was cheap help. You get what you pay for.
Customer beware!

He was unshaven, mellow, and completely "granola"; he definitely looked the part of a brew master :cross: I guess you really can't read a book by the cover! Thanks for all the help!

Back