Caramel Bock??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

c1377

Reaction score
I am set to brew my first beer, 3 gal carboy

Base:

3.3 lbs Amber Malt, Liquid Extract (equivalent to 2.67 lbs dry)
............OR.............
2.0 lbs Amber Malt, Dry Extract

AND

16 oz Crystal Malt (120L)
...........OR........
13 oz Mixture:
8 oz crystal malt (60L)
4 oz Chocolate
1 oz roasted barley

I don't want to make a stout for my first beer, but as I don't have the PPG of ANY of my ingredients I won't know how strong or dark the beer will be untill after I take the OG.

I am looking to make something in the range of 150 OG

Any suggestions on which to use?

Oh, yeah I have oatmeal as well, so if I end up making a stout I could add that...

Have you tried messing around with some brewing software? It will help you understand what does what in a beer and it's just fun. Promash, Beersmith and Beertools are the most popular.

A Bock is a lager, so if you can't lager you're probably best off looking at something else for your first brew - it's nice to get what you're looking for in your first one and faking a lager with an ale yeast isn't always reliably like the goal (although it usually will taste just fine).

You mentioned caramel in the name of the thread, Saranac makes a caramel porter that I think is quite tasty, although fairly sweet. I haven't tried to clone it, but my guess is that it's pretty much just a simple brown porter with a hefty dose of caramel in it.

You really should try some brewing software.

That said, brew what you want. If it were me, I would get some Munich extract (I think they make it) and use that in place of the amber. I would also go with the Alt yeast strain or the Fermentis W-23 strain as both give lager characteristics at ale temps. Just make some effort to control fermenting temps. Read up on the wet towel and fan approach. Personally, I think a bock base with a caramel accent could taste quite nice.

Back