Why didn't someone tell me sooner

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

psymn

Reaction score
So here's the story...I've been brewing for about 4 years now, and from the start I've been trying to get that grain/barley flavor in my beer. It's a subtle flavor that can be found in almost every commercial example form Sierra Nevada to Bud.

Imagine my delight when I finally found that elusive flavor in my homebrew by brewing all grain. Had I known this was the secret to getting this flavor, I would have switched 3 years ago! :)

I'm now on my 6th AG brew, and loving it. Sure it takes longer, and the equipment costs A LOT more, but the reward is truly great beer made in house (not being a braggart here, just excited)

:mug:

-Matt

Another Atlanta brewer! I haven't seen you on here before. What part of town are you in? I am northeast in Lilburn near Stone Mountain.

Going from mashing 60% of my malt bill to AG next weekend. Just put my new mash tun together, can't wait, but I need to let this batch ferment out first so the primary frees up.

i started brewing about 6 months ago and could not get over that extract taste. It was ok..but something about it just wasn't right. SO I rigged up a Mash Tun and got a 6 gallon pot for now and I have done 4 AG brews so far...wow..what a difference. Planning my Brutus for my summer project. Should be fun!

Wow I didn't know it was possible to wait that long. I made...I think....two batches of extract brews before I joined the little club. Everyone in it just seemed so cool.....

BigKahuna said:
Yous guys need to knock it off.
SWMBO is going to kill me if you talk me into going AG right now.
:D

ITs worth it, I did extract and PM, but when I got deployed I got out of brewing, it had lost its fun. After 4 years, and several deployments, I jumped back into brewing again, went all grain, and wonder why I never did it sooner.
Along with that, I also jumped right into kegging.

TerapinChef said:
Wow I didn't know it was possible to wait that long. I made...I think....two batches of extract brews before I joined the little club.
+1. I did two extract batches and then switched to AG. My AG beers beat the living crap out of my extract beers. And may God love them for it :D

All grain kicks ass. If I could have done it sooner I would have, but I went through 10 or 15 extract brews before I found a good deal on my equipment. It was a ten gallon setup. I dont regret it all. It was totally worth the fight I had with my g/f to get the money to buy the stuff.:D

Why didn't someone tell you sooner?
You didn't ask.
Extract brewing is a great way to practice the basics. Moving to all grain was likely much easier a step than someone who is going straight for the deep end.

enohcs said:
someone who is going straight for the deep end.
Hey watch the name calling...I think that applies to just about everyone on here who has ever made more than one batch in a 24 hour period, or who tried to decide if their relationship would make it if they stayed home to bottle beer instead of going out to dinner, or who has spent more than three hours crawling threads here, or ....the list could go on and on, but would slowly incriminate all of the people here that I like, so instead I say PROST! :mug:

I have done many extract brews, I want to go AG but dont know where to even start. I live San Antoino,Tx, Local brew shop is no help, and no one I know does homebrew. Please help!

I brewed extract for maybe 13 or 14 batches and then a buddy invited me to help him out with an AG session, the only thing I had to say after all was said and done was, "wholly sh*t, that is it?" have been AG ever since. Beers no longer "all kind of taste the same", quality is through the roof.

-ander

And I draw a quote from a friend to whom I sent a few AG HB's recently:

Poindexter said:
There is no going back.

I pledge to never again brew PM unless under extreme unction. This recipe I know inside and out, and you got stuff in here I just can't get PM.

I will grouse a little along the way, but thanks for showing me even better beer than I was making already that is better than any commercial brew I ever had....

Damn these are good.

Back