Stout Kit - Want to Add Adjuncts: Questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

polamalu43

Reaction score
I have a True Brew kit for an Irish Stout that I’m going to brew tomorrow. I also have a wyeast 1056 smack pack as well. I’ve only brewed four times, but I’m starting to get bored with kits, and I want to add a few adjuncts. In shot, I was hoping to “convert” this kit into a vanilla-bourbon-oak stout. Do you think this would be possible? I was thinking of throwing in 2 oz. of vanilla extract, 4-5 oz. bouron, and some oak chips at the end of the boil. I’ve read on here that kits are formulated in a specific way and do not take into account the fact that an idiot like me might want to add a whole lot of adjuncts.

I’m also well aware of the vast difference in style between an Irish stout and a big, round vanilla/oak stout. However, I’d still like to give this a shot.

Anyone have any advice?

I was also considering throwing in a little maple syrup as well.

I’d love to get some advice from the more experience brewers.

I wouldn't add the vanilla in until bottling time if it were me. The fine line between 'a bit of vanilla flavour' and 'oh my god I'm going to throw up' is pretty thin. Add it a little at a time in the bottling bucket and taste as you go.

I've never used oak or bourbon so I can't comment on those. I think I'd probably do the bourbon the same way as I did the vanilla.

You could soak the oak chips in the bourbon, and then add that to secondary. Taste every day, and rack when it's enough. If it's too long, it'll take years to age out!

I agree wtih Bradsul- add vanilla extract at bottling and a little goes a very long way. It tends to get stronger tasting after a while in the bottle, too, so just add a little to taste.

I use maple syrup in a few different recipes.This includes my stout. I recommend a few ounces stirred into boiled water. Once cooled, use it as a yeast starter. Wow - you posted that question a long time ago.

Back