Keezer collar concerns

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mendozer

Reaction score
I want to build a collar to store my CO2 outside my keezer and in the near future I'll add faucets. For now, I'm using picnic faucets.

I like the idea of mounting the collar to the lid so the whole collar lifts up like these:

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f35/holiday-5-cu-feet-red-keezer-240073/ (he tosses the factory lid, but similar idea)

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/my-keezer-collar-build-219659/ his collar uses a lip instead of screwing down to freezer frame

BobbyM uses a lid-mounted design seen here

I'm wondering what's the best way to attach it to my freezer. There's a lip design, screw down with L brackets, silicone/gasket, etc.

DSC01182.jpg

DSC01181.jpg

DSC01180.jpg

DSC01179.jpg

My collar's rim has an inset. this could be good or bad for resting the collar on.
My lid has the gasket. Does that get stripped off then use L brackets on the collar to the lid?
I don't plan on making the collar too high. As you can see, i already have like 6 or 7 inches of clearance (it's a deep freezer) but i want a collar for my co2 line.

I removed my lid. Used 1x6 pine boards to create a collar and 1/2" wafer board sheet for the top. I left the gasket on the freezer lid and bought some 3/4" x 1/2" foam weather stripping. The 3/4" width made it a perfect fit to the edge of the 1x6 collar. I just used the original freezer hinges and screwed the collar back on to those.

My Co2 is on the outside of my keezer, so it sounds like I did want you want to do.

what is wafer board? I kind of wanted to keep the lid for the look of the handle. Also, I'm going to paint it with chalkboard paint and draw what's on tap in the future

I used 1x6 red oak for my collar. I removed the gasket on the lid and used Liquid Nails to attach the collar to the lid. Then I bought some weatherstripping to put on the bottom of the collar to get a good seal with the freezer body.

The Liquid Nails is definitely secure and sturdy - but I put handles on the collar also instead of using the lid handle so there's no stress on it. The handles also look really cool.

yeah LN is tough stuff, especially the heavy duty one. Won't even come out of the tube without squeezing ridiculously hard

I want to build a collar to store my CO2 outside my keezer and in the near future I'll add faucets. For now, I'm using picnic faucets.

I like the idea of mounting the collar to the lid so the whole collar lifts up like these:

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f35/holiday-5-cu-feet-red-keezer-240073/ (he tosses the factory lid, but similar idea)

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/my-keezer-collar-build-219659/ his collar uses a lip instead of screwing down to freezer frame

BobbyM uses a lid-mounted design seen here

I'm wondering what's the best way to attach it to my freezer. There's a lip design, screw down with L brackets, silicone/gasket, etc.

DSC01182.jpg

DSC01181.jpg

DSC01180.jpg

DSC01179.jpg

My collar's rim has an inset. this could be good or bad for resting the collar on.
My lid has the gasket. Does that get stripped off then use L brackets on the collar to the lid?
I don't plan on making the collar too high. As you can see, i already have like 6 or 7 inches of clearance (it's a deep freezer) but i want a collar for my co2 line.

You have almost the same freezer that I have.
That brown rubber lip is a bonus.
I found that it's a great surface for rope caulk to adhere to.
I made a cedar 2x8 collar & love my results.
I added a strip of stick-on neoprene foam to the top of the cedar & it works great.

My hinges have one screw into the collar & one into the original hole in the freezer.
2.jpg

10037163476326_ORIG.jpg

so your collar took up the whole rim and you filled the subset part with caulking?

Here is a pic of mine. The OSB is under the 3/16" inch oak cabinet backing. The cabinet backing was left over from a kitchen remodel. Chalkboard paint on the freezer. Co2 is sitting in a tray attached to the back of the base. Base is on wheels.

SANY0003_smaller.jpg

SANY0004_smaller.jpg

nice. I made my cart already and plan to do chalkboard paint too. Because of funding (or lack thereof) I'll make the collar, but will continue to use picnic faucets for now. I can always add faucet holes later.

Did any of you use insulation panels like people have in the larger keezers? I've noticed that people who do small (under 6") collars don't use it

nice. I made my cart already and plan to do chalkboard paint too. Because of funding (or lack thereof) I'll make the collar, but will continue to use picnic faucets for now. I can always add faucet holes later.

Did any of you use insulation panels like people have in the larger keezers? I've noticed that people who do small (under 6") collars don't use it

I use some. It was cheap. I didn't bother doing anything too incredibly fancy with it, just cut a length on each side to rough-size and glued it to the wood.

Back