Giving up on oaked beers...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sir Humpsalot

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I've had four oaked beers. La Musette by Allagash, Madrugada Obscura by Jolly Pumpkin, and two others I can't recall.

I hated all of them. In general, they ranged from "Pretty Gross" to "Downright Undrinkable". I'm giving up. I don't like the oak flavor in beer.

I did thoroughly enjoy one or two "Bourbon Barrel" stouts though... So what gives? :drunk:

Yeast Infection said:
is the oak in oaked beers charred or toasted like a Bourbon barrle is?

No... I probably like the burnt oak because it is the sweet taste of the destruction of oak, oak being a taste which is vile and foul. Sort of an enemy of an enemy is a friend sort of thing, I suppose...

Yeast Infection said:
is the oak in oaked beers charred or toasted like a Bourbon barrle is?

I would have to say yes, I can't seem to find any coopers that don't char/toast their barrels. Also what i have come across is many smaller brewery will use old wine barrels or wiskey/bourbon barrels.

Cheers

This has kept me from trying the Oaked Arrogant bastard. I like AB as is, it is a little bit malty so not quite my normal preference, but I just think the oaky taste would ruin that beer. I'm with you man. :)

Rook said:
This has kept me from trying the Oaked Arrogant bastard. I like AB as is, it is a little bit malty so not quite my normal preference, but I just think the oaky taste would ruin that beer. I'm with you man. :)

Don't be skerred.

If you like AB, you'll like the Oaked AB. It is very subtle oak, in fact it smoothes out the beer some. I heard a quote by the CEO of Stone saying "Oaked AB is like AB in a tux". I think that is a fitting description for it. I wish I had more of the stuff.

What's that brewery? Great Divide?

I had their oaked Yeti Imperial Stout. That one was merely gross, not disgustingly undrinkable like one or two of the others I had.

And it's weird. I like to think I have a pretty good palate, with a tolerance for a variety of tastes.. but man oh man... oak character, to me, tastes like licking a 9 volt battery.... which is followed by a hint of upset stomach. Blech!!!!

Toot said:
What's that brewery? Great Divide?

I had their oaked Yeti Imperial Stout. That one was merely gross, not disgustingly undrinkable like one or two of the others I had.

And it's weird. I like to think I have a pretty good palate, with a tolerance for a variety of tastes.. but man oh man... oak character, to me, tastes like licking a 9 volt battery.... which is followed by a hint of upset stomach. Blech!!!!

I would agree with you on that one. The bottle of oaked yeti that I had was borderline undrinkable as the oak was downright overwhelming.

Other oak aged beers that I recall having recently: muesette (tap), oaked AB (bottle) and burton baton (bottle) were all significantly more subtle on the oaking.

Big difference in putting a few small oak chips in, and putting the whole wort in an oak barrel. Maybe the barrel thing is just too much?

Back