Japan 8.9 earthquake + Tsunami warnings for N. America

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If the wave precipitates outward in a circular pattern, the entire W coast of N. America is vulnerable. There is nothing but blue water between Tokyo & San Fransisco.

I've got a cousin who married a Japanese wife and is living in Japan, we've yet to hear from him, I hope he's alright.

Looks like very minimal change from normal for the US coastline. From the video I saw from Japan, I was fearing the worst for Hawaii.

So hard to get anything done today with HBT and Online Video from Japan.

Our beach house is on Siletz bay in Lincoln City, OR. Saying a five foot wave is on the way....

I bet there are a lot of pictures of that earthquake

My BIL is stationed at NAF Atsugi and thankfully he was able to get on FB and let everyone know he was OK. The videos coming out of Japan are just staggering. The wave of water sweeping up houses and cars and the whirlpool in the middle of the ocean....

I've heard reports from a few of my friends over in Japan. So far everyone I know is ok, but life in the area will probably be increasingly difficult as the country attempts to recover from such a major disaster.

I've had one hell of a hectic morning. I woke up to the news from Japan and wasn't able to get in touch with any of my friends over there.

My mother arrived in Maui yesterday afternoon. I was texting back and forth with her on my commute in to work today as she was evacuated to the 5th floor of her hotel at 230am their time. After an hour, they let them go free but when she got back to her room, the bay outside her balcony was suddenly missing water. That made her panic and she spent another hour in center of the hotel complex, away from the water. The water came back without any destruction and she is fine but tired.

My sister-in-law and her family live on the south shore of Kauai and were awoken by the tsunami sirens at 130am. She chose to ignore them and go back to bed, even with a few frantic calls from me and my wife. My FIL is visiting them right now also. They are also fine and dandy.

My sister works for harbor patrol in Newport Beach CA and has been hearing quite a few stories from coworkers (it's her day off today) about the water rushing out of the harbor and breaking boats from their moorings. So far, no major surges coming ashore, just the weird receding water thing.

My condolences to everyone in Japan directly affected by this. I've seen some crazy stuff in my life, but those videos of cars, boats, and houses being washed away were just crazy.

I heard from my 2 friends there about a half hour ago that they are fine, but not much else...

My family finally got word from my cousin, his family is safe.

I've been through a few natural disasters, flooding and hurricanes, but seeing that video makes me feel like I've not been through anything at all!

Right now the power plant is at a level 6 incident

Chernobyl was a level 7.

Any questions about how serious this meltdown issue is?

Well my friend got a hold of his family and would like me to talk to Gottfried because I told him "Japan just got shaken like a red headed step child" when I texted him Friday morning before posting the thread.

The news is saying expected 10K to be found missing or dead in the coming weeks.

Latest posts

Back