First Brew: day 1.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

malweth

Reaction score
My question first:
It's early yet, but will there be any problem with racking to a 6.5 gallon carboy (or back to the same bucket if that's not an option) after 2 weeks? I will not be able to tend the wort for the 2 weeks after that.

More about my setup:
... but not my first brew. I've done a few batches of wine now (nothing bottled yet, but the blueberry is ready whenever I am).

I wanted to try a beer with some family... we ended up making the Copper Ale kit from Midwest. We did the partial boil on the stovetop, but I'm planning on getting a bigger kettle (my current is for canning) and a propane burner... then maybe some DIY stuff.

I only rehydrated the yeast. I have a magnetic stir plate that I just made (from the DIY instructions here), but the stir bar shipped a day late from Amazon.

The only mistake (that I know of) was a lost grommit from my primary; it slipped right through the hole. Luckily I have another that just needed cleaning & sanitizing. It also sounds like most people use other sanitizers. I have lots of Na/K-Metabisulfite - I can't imagine small amounts have any effect on brewing yeasts (there's no effect on 6 gallons of must).

edb beat me to it. edit

I would just leave it in the primary for the whole 4 weeks. It won't hurt anything, it probably will end with better results that way. RDWHAHB. Racking a simple beer like that to secondary will just complicate things and increase the chance for infection/oxidation. Just bottle when you're able to.

Mike

Sorry... another question - the instructions didn't say to remove the hop detritus. There is a bit of the gunk -- will this be ok to sit on for a week or two??

Racking won't be a problem. Larger beers (IPA, barleywine, inperials..) are routinely left for weeks/months at a time, just make sure the temp is in the comfortable range for the yeast and you're good. As far as i know the majority of beer people use starsan or iodophor to sanitize and i have to admit, I don't know what sodium/ potassium metabisulfate does and it would probably be best to leave it out of your beer since i've never seen anywhere that it's called for in the beer process.

Sorry... another question - the instructions didn't say to remove the hop detritus. There is a bit of the gunk -- will this be ok to sit on for a week or two??

yeah man, just let it all sit. Beer isn't as needy as wine is to make. Just let it all sit in primary for 4 to six weeks then prime and bottle and let it sit another three to six. set it and forget it

Back