How about this smoker?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BoundForBeer

Reaction score
So I got a gift for xmas of a smoker :rockin: WOW that was a surprise. I guess people do listen to me...sometimes. Anyway it is this smoker Big Chief Front Load Smoker. Do you think this is a good starting point? I don't have allot of room in the back yard (more like a concrete slab) so a big wood burner is out of the question. I guess any input would be good if anyone uses this model? thanks

I have one, and had the little chief before that. I love it. I use it for smoking salmon, summer sausage, and salami. Also great for .cold smoking cheese and almonds. I haven't smoked or cooked any large cuts like boston butts, but I'm sure it's possible. One recommendation....keep the box. The smoker holds heat so much better when used in box.

One recommendation....keep the box. The smoker holds heat so much better when used in box.

Are you sayin to run it with the cardboard box over it? I figured it was a good starting point just wanted to see if anyone used it. I'm sure the purists will say its not good unless it's a wood burner. Once I move maybe ill consider upgrading. Also with storage is this something I could store in the basement or will it "smell like a smoke house" down there?

Are you sayin to run it with the cardboard box over it? I figured it was a good starting point just wanted to see if anyone used it. I'm sure the purists will say its not good unless it's a wood burner. Once I move maybe ill consider upgrading. Also with storage is this something I could store in the basement or will it "smell like a smoke house" down there?

The little chief was a top-loader, so I just kept it in the box and cut a flap to load more chips. Front-loader I just place the box upside down over it. A friend of mine built a box out of 2" insulation sheets for the big chief, works fine as well.

Yes, it will smell like a smoker. I keep mine in the garage. Odor seems to dissipate with time, and the only smokey smell I get is when I open the box.

I have both the Big and Lil Chief smokers. I use 'em all the time.

One thing to remember is that it's not going to cook your food. You will need to finish cooking it with some other means. If you're doing ribs, pork butt, or chicken...you'll want to smoke it in the smoker for 2-3 pans of chips, and then finish cooking the food in and oven, or on the grill. The smoker just doesn't get hot enough to cook meat all the way through.

We got my Dad one for Christmas last year, and he uses it quite a bit. At 75 yrs old, it's pretty easy for him to smoke some ribs for a few pans of chips, and then finish them on the grill, or in the oven.

I use mine for fish, nuts, bacon, Canadian bacon, cheese etc....

To store it, install the front cover backwards....so the handle is on the inside of the smoker. Then it will fit right back in the box. I store mine like that in the garage, and it doesn't smell at all.

I have an older version of the Big Chief, which is a top loader. I store it in it's box in the garage, doesn't seem to smell until I open the box. I use it mainly for jerky and sausage. I've had it for almost 20 years and it still works great.

I'm sure I'll get some flack about this, but since this smokes at a relatively low temp (somewhere below 170*F) you really need to cure the meat first with something like instacure or prague powder.

I have an older version of the Big Chief, which is a top loader. I store it in it's box in the garage, doesn't seem to smell until I open the box. I use it mainly for jerky and sausage. I've had it for almost 20 years and it still works great.

I'm sure I'll get some flack about this, but since this smokes at a relatively low temp (somewhere below 170*F) you really need to cure the meat first with something like instacure or prague powder.

^^^^^^absolutely.

You won't catch any flack from me about that. Something in there aside from cheese and nuts really should have cure #1. Make sure you at least do a little bit of reading about cold smoking and cures before you throw some meat on there.

I haven't really found any good sites about curing and whatnot. The bbq forums have things here and there but not a ton. It has been recommended many times already but Charcuterie is a great book that really goes into detail about it.

do you guys recommend any sites to read up about what all I should know before I crank this baby on?

The instruction book contains a bunch of information as well as some pretty good recipes. It covers curing as well.

I used to have a top load big chief....I really liked it for jerkey and smoked salmon....I also did some cheese with it......I gave it away after I built my hot smoker as other posters said that you can't cook meat with it.......it is for all intents and purposes an electric dehydrator that smokes.

These are made to SMOKE. Not COOK. They do a bang up job of injecting the smokey flavor to your meat, but you then need to cook it further. They simply don't get hot enough.
Please DO NOT invert the cardboard box and put it over your smoker. Many people have lost large parts of their homes due to the cardboard catching on fire. Just common sense.

Back