Help with Highland Oatmeal Porter Clone

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

J-ROD

Reaction score
I finally decided to try to clone my first beer. I am still new to all grain brewing so any help is greatly appreciated. I took a look at Highland's web site and the Oatmeal Porter is listed at 32 IBU's with Chinook, Cascade and Willamette hops and 5.8% abv. So, Here is my first rough draft:

5 gallon batch

Grain:

# 8.5 Pale 2-row
# 1 Flaked Oats
# 1/2 Crystal 90
# 1/2 Black Patent Malt

Hops:

Chinook (13%) .40 oz. @ 60 min. (24.9 IBU)
Cascade (5.4%) .50 oz. @ 15 min. (3.5 IBU)
Willamette (4.5%) 1 oz. @ 5 min. (3.6 IBU)

Yeast:
Nottingham

I was thinking to mash in at around 1.33 quarts per pound and somewhere in the 150-152 degree range for 60 min. and boil for 60. I use a retangular cooler with a braid and a sanke keg to boil. I batch sparge. All grain is all still pretty new so I really need help before I give this a try.

Good choice, one of the tastier beers I've had from them. I would just suggest adding half pound of chocolate malt to what you hace, to make sure it has a really dark color and the "chocolate-roasted" flavor they suggest. Otherwise looks like a solid recipe to me.

I brewed something similar over the weekend, but I used Munich Malt for the base (plus .5 lbs each flaked wheat/oats, light roasted barley, and chocolate malt) to 1.064, 40 IBUs of Willamettes with an ounce at 10 min, and fermenting with 1968 London ESB.

I took a look at Highland's web site and the Oatmeal Porter is listed at 32 IBU's with Chinook, Cascade and Willamette hops and 5.8% abv. So, Here is my first rough draft:

5 gallon batch

Grain:

# 8.5 Pale 2-row
# 1 Flaked Oats
# 1/2 Crystal 90
# 1/2 Black Patent Malt

Hops:

Chinook (13%) .40 oz. @ 60 min. (24.9 IBU)
Cascade (5.4%) .50 oz. @ 15 min. (3.5 IBU)
Willamette (4.5%) 1 oz. @ 5 min. (3.6 IBU)

Yeast:
Nottingham

I think you're recipe will work.

I just whipped up an oatmeal porter for a 12.5 gallon batch.

18# Baird's pale ale malt.
2# Fawcett Oat Malt
1# Baird's Crystal 150L
1# Fawcett Pale Chocolate Malt
1/2# Fawcett Roasted Barley
1/2# Fawcett Black Malt

Since I am trying to get rid of my Bravo hops.... I used those.

40g Bravo 11.3%AA for 60 minutes
40g Bravo 11.3%AA for 15 minutes

WLP037 Samuel Smith yeast.

The only comment I have for yours is that I might recommend a going with 4oz black malt and 4oz roast barley with a 8oz chocolate malt.

Thanks for the help I'm gonna make a few changes and try to brew this up the first week of April.....

I've been to the brewery and they said they use WLP001/Wyeast1056 in all their beers (including the Clawhammer Oktoberfest!).

They're super nice there and I wouldn't be surprised if you emailed them about the recipe and they helped you out. Maybe not the full recipe, but I bet you could get the malt types. Try emailing Steve (he led my tour and is in charge of marketing in TN)... steve (AT) highlandbrewing (DOT) com

And I think this beer drinks a little thicker than a mash temp of 152... maybe 154-156.

I've been to the brewery and they said they use WLP001/Wyeast1056 in all their beers (including the Clawhammer Oktoberfest!).

They're super nice there and I wouldn't be surprised if you emailed them about the recipe and they helped you out. Maybe not the full recipe, but I bet you could get the malt types. Try emailing Steve (he led my tour and is in charge of marketing in TN)... steve (AT) highlandbrewing (DOT) com

And I think this beer drinks a little thicker than a mash temp of 152... maybe 154-156.

Awesome....taking a tour of Highland is something I really want to do soon. I will give them a e-mail and see what they say...again thanks for the help !

I hate to resurrect an old thread, but I was curious about this. Did you brew it? How'd it turn out? I just had one of these the other night, and would like to brew something close to it. It doesn't have to be exactly the same. Also thinking about doing this BIAB, what do you think?

I hate to resurrect an old thread, but I was curious about this. Did you brew it? How'd it turn out? I just had one of these the other night, and would like to brew something close to it. It doesn't have to be exactly the same. Also thinking about doing this BIAB, what do you think?

Almost forgot about this one, it turned out ok but not quite what I wanted. I got a little frustrated and didn't try it again. Mouthfeel was a bit thin eventhough I mashed at 154. Just got a few bags of grain in I'm thinking about changing it up and trying again. Maybe mash a little higher as well. I'll actually report back this time.

Reviving this thread again. I really like this beer and would like to get a good recipe for it. I have created a recipe from their website list of ingredients. let me know what you think. this is for a 5 gal batch and mash at 156.

15.43 g Chinook [13.00 %] - Boil 60.0 min Hop 8 24.6 IBUs
21.43 g Willamette [5.50 %] - Boil 30.0 min Hop 9 7.4 IBUs
28.35 g Cascade [5.50 %] - Boil 5.0 min Hop 10 3.2 IBUs

8.0 oz Chocolate Malt (350.0 SRM) Grain 7 3.3 %
1 lbs Caramel/Crystal Malt - 40L (40.0 SRM) Grain 3 6.7 %
1 lbs Caramel/Crystal Malt - 60L (60.0 SRM) Grain 4 6.7 %
8.0 oz Black (Patent) Malt (500.0 SRM) Grain 6 3.3 %
3 lbs Munich Malt (9.0 SRM) Grain 2 20.0 %
1 lbs Oats, Flaked (1.0 SRM) Grain 5 6.7 %
8 lbs Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 1 53.3 %

1.0 pkg American Ale (Wyeast Labs #1056) [124.21 ml]

thanks for the input