Yeast Starter From Malt Grain?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BeerClaw

Reaction score
I would like to do a 1L starter with some dry Safale US-05 yeast. The porter I am making is all grain and I have no malt extract on hand so I was wonder how much grain I should mash to make 1L of wart? How long should I mash for?

Thanks

Hmmm. You could take 1 pound of two row in 2 quarts of water, mash for 60 minutes and then sparge to your volume. I'd probably go with .75 gallon, so when you boil it you get about 2L. 1 liter would be very difficult- that's a very small volume!

Ideally, you'd end up with 2 liters of 1.045 wort, if my math is half way decent!

That said, you don't want to do a starter with dry yeast anyway! Especially not such a small starter.

i did this just the other day because i was too lazy to drive to the brew store. i just mashed 1 lb of 2 row in a grain bag in a pot on the stove top. i mashed in half a gallon of water then rinsed it in another half gallon. boil then cool. it was definatly more trouble than its worth for starter material but i was able to bottle harvest some pacman which i just pitched today.

Thanks for the feedback! I really had no reason to make the starter other then to have a higher pitch rate. I did not know dry did not translate well to startes, thanks for the advise. I will just rehydrate and pitch it.

Latest posts

Back