pale ale flavour

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

400d

Reaction score
two days ago I bottled my first batch. today, I couldn't resist so I opened one bottle that was not full, because it was the last bottle from the batch. I chilled it in the fridge for some time. so it was only two days in the bottle and I could hear some "pssssssssssssssssssss" sound when I opened it.....

of course, it was completely flat, but anyway I just wanted to taste it.

Honestly, I don't know what to think. I can taste hops, very intense bitterness. But at the same time I feel very fruity aroma, something like tangerines or very similar.

Is my beer going to change flavour after 3 weeks priming in bottles? I would like to get rid of this fruitiness actually.

Yes the beer will certainly change flavor after bottling. From my very limited experience, most of the flavor change will happen within 1-3 weeks after bottling and then the flavors will mellow together but more gradually. Of course this all varies with the style that you are brewing. Also, once the beer is more carbonated, that in itself will alter the flavor. You might find that you like the fruity aroma/taste with some bubbles.

Yeah, it does change. Like opteek said. The carbonation bubbles create a sort of scrubbing on your tongue that changes the perception. For me it makes the beer seem a bit drier. The fruit character may mellow a bit, and yeah, the integration of flavors is better after waiting a bit. The fruit sounds like it's from the hops and that does drop off some. But if you put a ton of citrus hops like Cascade, Amarillo, Chinook or Centennial or their cousins, then it's from that and won't entirely disappear (thank god, I say!).

Back