Regular question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rcd

Reaction score
My uncle gave me his kegging stuff today. He hasn't used it in a long time so couldn't tell me much about the condition of it all.

I got the co2 tank filled, and I attached the regulator. Then I plugged it into one of my kegs and opened the tank. I figured out how to work the screw to adjust the PSI going in. The thing is, I hear a slight hissing sound which seems to be coming from right around where the regulator screws onto the tank. Is that normal? How can I tell if this is a leak?

The guy at the gas filling place gave me this small black disc thing (uh, a washer? except that's the wrong word) to place in the tube part where the regulator attaches to the tank. Is that supposed to be there?

Guess I need to figure this out before I try to force carbonate, leaving it open, cause if it's leaking all my co2 will be gone quick, no?

Thanks

Turn off the gas. Detatch the regulator. Put the 'black disc thing' (washer) into the connector, reattach the regulator.

You need that washer to get a good seal. You'll lose your CO2 overnight without it.

Yes, that bushing goes between the tank and the regulator.

...and hissing is bad - very bad. It means you have a HUGE amount of C02 escaping. If you don't fix it quick, you'll be refilling that tank REALLY soon.

It's a good idea to use soapy water around all the connections to see if you have leaks. But of course, hissing is a dead give-away.

Other than the leak, you are a lucky bastid, and I'm extremely jealous. Most of us normal people have to pay for and then build our brewing toys. Awesome score!!!

:ban: :ban:

Back