How to depict yeast in a tattoo?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MedicMang

Reaction score
I'm looking to get a tattoo of the four ingredients in beer. Water, malted barley, and hops are all kind of a given to what they look like. How can I illustrate yeast? The molecule? They just look like little circles. I'm just not sure what reference to give to the tattoo artist.

I'm getting two mash paddles that are crossed. In the "X" voids will be the ingredients. Let me know what everyone thinks. Thank you.

Yeast is pretty boring to look at in its normal state. Even budding yeast cells might be pretty strange to look at in tattoo form. Maybe you should go with a yeast vial or yeast starter to depict yeast.

Edit: you could always go with yeast, Good Eats style
chelseasockpuppet.jpg

I'm looking to get a tattoo of the four ingredients in beer. Water, malted barley, and hops are all kind of a given to what they look like. How can I illustrate yeast? The molecule? They just look like little circles. I'm just not sure what reference to give to the tattoo artist.

I'm getting two mash paddles that are crossed. In the "X" voids will be the ingredients. Let me know what everyone thinks. Thank you.

put the hop cone on the top void so it resembles a skull & cross bones, yet stays 100% true to what you're going for. as for the yeast, I like the tart side idea.

biochemedic said:
What about a picture of an Erlenmeyer flask...containing a nice, juicy starter!

I like it! This is closer to what I'm thinking.

Keep em coming. My girl said a package of Safale 05 but I'm not a huge fan of product placement. I use other yeasts too, so it doesn't make much sense.

I was watching that dofishhead show and they were recreating an egyptian brew. Egyptians obviously didn't know anything about yeast, but they depicted the process with a loaf of bread going into the wort. It really fits with the modern idea of "Beer is Food".

I was watching that dofishhead show and they were recreating an egyptian brew. Egyptians obviously didn't know anything about yeast, but they depicted the process with a loaf of bread going into the wort. It really fits with the modern idea of "Beer is Food".

Actually, I'm pretty sure they used the loaves to make the wort in the first place. Yeast would have been conveyed by the winds of fortune on an open fermenter...

Cheers!

"Actually, I'm pretty sure they used the loaves to make the wort in the first place. Yeast would have been conveyed by the winds of fortune on an open fermenter...'

Well, the experts they had on were split about whether they added the bread directly or it was just symbolic. It's pretty interesting that they made the connection thousands of years before the discovery of yeast though. They were also reusing brewing equipment without sanitation, so that was the likely majority source of yeast. Obviously, all yeast originated in the wild, but it is obviously a lot easier to just reuse you yeast rather than try to establish new colonies from the air each time.

Back