Hop Rehab E-Herms build

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Good advice man thanks. I suppose that would be the safest/easiest way. It looks like the square D brand only has 2 options at home depot. If it's not obvious to me comparing the two then maybe i'll just buy both of them and return the one that doesn't work.

Corey

My panel had the circuit breaker types that fit it listed on one of the door labels. I actually took a pic of that with me to lowes and that made it super easy as well.

My panel had the circuit breaker types that fit it listed on one of the door labels. I actually took a pic of that with me to lowes and that made it super easy as well.

I wish I could say proudly "of course I checked there". But... sure enough I didn't :(, and sure enough it lists QO as the circuit breaker that I need. Thanks for the very obvious but very much needed advice.

Corey

I got the 240v 30 amp breaker and receptacle installed today. Tested it with a multimeter and she works!

It measured at 251v, that's normal right?

image-856919361.jpg

Power company's like to play with the voltage depending on load. I have seen 230 in the summer. Congrats on the build.

Thanks guys. I knew I had read in the forum that it can vary, but some affirmation is helpful! :)

I'm hopeful to get some of the switchcraft terminal ends installed today during the Bengals game. We'll see how that goes. ha

Go Bengals!

I made a little more progress today.

I got the spa panel internals all wired up. Then installed the switch craft plugs and receptacles for power into and out of the spa panel as well as power into the control panel. The switch craft plugs are cool but boy they are pain to wire up!

Multimeter says its wired correct as it still reads 251v and GFCI doesn't trip.

image-2840925341.jpg

image-1697948420.jpg

image-1038596277.jpg

I finally got a couple of hours to work on the build more. Unfortunately I spent it re-doing the spa panel switchcraft plug wiring. It was a pain but totally worth it as I feel much more confident with the wiring now. I soldered the female terminal ends to the receptacle blades and shrink tubed them individually. Attached is the before and the after.

image-1613439523.jpg

image-776193909.jpg

I also changed the location of my spa panel away from my motorized grain mill. I feared the vibrations from the grain mill might knock a terminal end free.

image-1796179743.jpg

Slow progress marches on. I got the compression fittings to the HERMs coil installed and prepared the element housing. Hopefully today I'll get the switchcraft receptacle on the back plate installed now that the JB weld has sat over night.

image-4291996761.jpg

image-3035374098.jpg

image-2778249801.jpg

image-3537185042.jpg

I made a little more progress on the equipment today. The next step is putting together a stand while waiting for the last bits of my control panel roll in.

image-3587791416.jpg

image-76457992.jpg

image-3504726589.jpg

image-3500119701.jpg

I made some stickers for the coolers. This is just in case i drink too many home brews and forget which one was is which.

image-2660428962.jpg

I installed the element and tested it out today. The control panel isn't done yet so I just plugged it directly into the spa panel. It worked great, heating ~5 gallons of 55 deg water to 100 in about five minutes. Is it normal to be scared ****less the first time you test the equipment? Haha

image-214015405.jpg

image-786755612.jpg

image-71942085.jpg

image-4001789654.jpg

image-1164724025.jpg

I like the idea of incorporating a light into the element box.

What type of outlets/plugs are using for the element (in the box) and the male plug for the panel? I have never seen those before...? Thanks

They are the switchcraft plug/receptacles. If you search "switchcraft" there is a great thread with a lot more info on its use and approval brewing application.

It's a great way to knock $100+ off of your overall build cost but beware jt will also add about 2 hours of frustration while building the cords. Haha

Corey

The brew stand is underway! Should have her assembled by the end of the weekend.. Polyurethane tomorrow, bolts and screws Sunday.

image-849931797.jpg

image-2363372397.jpg

image-1399468898.jpg

Almost done with the stand. There was way more to this project than I expected, but that seems to be a common theme for the whole project. Ha

image-52024769.jpg

Nice looking work. I just noticed you're in Fayettenam. I used to work south of there in St. Pauls. I'm live just northeast of you (Garner). Can't wait to see this finished. I'm looking to go electric with a HERMS setup. I might have some questions for you in the future. :cheers:

Nice looking work. I just noticed you're in Fayettenam. I used to work south of there in St. Pauls. I'm live just northeast of you (Garner). Can't wait to see this finished. I'm looking to go electric with a HERMS setup. I might have some questions for you in the future. :cheers:

Yeaaa Fayetteville, NC. It's a beautiful place, HA!

It's a fun project for sure, you'll enjoy the process just as much as the finished project. I just opened a new clinic here in town that is eating up lots of my free time, so the build is progressing slowly. I should add that I'm not very handy so things that would take most a few hours takes me a whole day. For example that brew stand. I probably put 10 hours into it already and i'm still not done. What the heck!?!?

But yea man feel free to shoot any questions once you start planning/building.

Corey

I got the brew stand all finished today. My pops was in town so i put him to work. We also got the pumps mounted and the plate chiller is removable via a "slide in" block mounted to the table.

image-2533655841.jpg

image-882293931.jpg

image-2888159810.jpg

image-1353470435.jpg

I mounted and installed some of the receptacles today. I chose to have everything plug into a separate box so everything's not hanging from the control panel. I think it should look a lot cleaner this way. From this box i'll use one short run of flexible conduit to the control panel. Everything will still be removable. I also might paint the box black at the same time I paint the control panel. I'm undecided yet as its mounted to the back of the stand anyway.

image-2966191554.jpg

image-1764785706.jpg

I drew up my wiring diagram and designed my control panel in early December. It is now March and I'm finally at the point to start it.

I got the holes punched yesterday and the panel painted today. I ended up using a Dremel to cut the squares out. It wasn't the easiest thing I've ever done but overall not too bad.

image-2832116063.jpg

image-1920956196.jpg

image-2025957614.jpg

image-1751031573.jpg

image-3209961420.jpg

While waiting for the paint on the back of the control panel to dry I started installing the control panel mount. I stole the idea so I can't claim it for my own. It's a 45 deg PVC pipe with drain housings as the attachment for the base and panel attachment. It seems really sturdy but that my depend on how heavy the control panel ends up being.

image-3120252407.jpg

image-2025396890.jpg

I got the panel mounted today along with the DIN rail and SSRs mounted inside. No wiring yet hopefully start that tomorrow.

image-2228845699.jpg

image-3255509364.jpg

I got started on wiring over the last couple of weeks. It's ridiculous I can't find time to finish this thing. It's definitely been way too long since I brewed last and the kegerator is running low!

image-834361027.jpg

image-1821768424.jpg

image-1082682938.jpg

Lookin' good, keep at it! I commend you on the intelligence of spreading the work out over a few weeks. I completed mine in about 12 hours (6pm to 6 am)... I was so bleary eyed and fatigued that it felt like I had been knocking back homebrew all night!
I'm envious of all the room you have in that box, it looks good and clean. Odds are you will never have to go back in there again, but still, I like clean.

I had an extra 1/2 hour tonight so I figured I would get the decals installed on the site glass. It turned out fairly decent I think.

image-686824674.jpg

So jealous of you. I'm in the beginning stages of my eHERMS Kal clone build right now. It will be a while before I finish. Haven't even started buying anything for the control panel yet. $$$$$$$.

Nice build.

Like the mounting idea, might have to steal tht from you, even though you stoles it from someone else.

I am in the process of having custom 15gal SS kettles built for my eHERMS, got the Panel stuff picked out and listed so after the pots are done, I will order all that.

Have about 8 months to get eveything to the house, then I can start putting it all together, as I am currently out of the country until Nov. Hope to be up and running by 2014 with the Pilot brew house, and by 2020 installed with a 10bbl system inmy very own Pub...we all gotta dream right?

Tim

modobrew said:
So jealous of you. I'm in the beginning stages of my eHERMS Kal clone build right now. It will be a while before I finish. Haven't even started buying anything for the control panel yet. $$$$$$$.

I remember that feeling man. Its a bit overwhelming at first but i remember being super excited. Honestly, getting close to finishing the build the feeling is bitter sweet. I'm super-excited that I'm almost done but also a little bummed as I can honestly say that I have had a ton of fun with this project. Good luck man and just accept that it is going to cost more then you think.

MX1 said:
Nice build.

Like the mounting idea, might have to steal tht from you, even though you stoles it from someone else.

I am in the process of having custom 15gal SS kettles built for my eHERMS, got the Panel stuff picked out and listed so after the pots are done, I will order all that.

Have about 8 months to get eveything to the house, then I can start putting it all together, as I am currently out of the country until Nov. Hope to be up and running by 2014 with the Pilot brew house, and by 2020 installed with a 10bbl system inmy very own Pub...we all gotta dream right?

Tim

Ha shot for the stars man. If you need someone to sample your pilot batches just look me up. Ebrewsupply, auber, amazon and mouser were my go-to's for ordering.

Not a bad idea. I ended up ordering a couple of used greenlee hole punches off of eBay a while back. Way better price then buying them new.

Finally finished the wiring for the control panel. Everything is connected and tested for connectivity with a multimeter. I'm nervous to actually hook her up to the juice so I'm going to wait until Friday and give it the first test!

Corey

image-1555141537.jpg

image-4130448140.jpg

image-250767676.jpg

Yes, I have been looking for punches as well, I would rather punch the holes instead of drill them, but I do have 2 step bits, so if I dont find them, its no biggie

Back