NO Carbonation and Taste like water HELP!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mjkopp

Reaction score
Well im new to site and im still learning how to use it. Also im new to brewing beer and pop. So here we go.
Grains- 12 oz caramel 10,4 oz chocolate = 25 min 155-160 temp.
Then I added 6lbs munich malt took that up to a boil
Hops= 2 oz crysta pellet and 1 oz nugget hops ( nuggets are from the back yard)
boil time 50 min.
Hops = 1 oz Hallertau and .5 oz nugget hop ( back yard ) 5-7 min
cooled down to 78 or so put it in the bucket added as much air as i could and put the yeast on top and sealed.
The airlock bubbled for two days and on the third I put it into a carboy and let it sit for 3 days. My friend said i could bottle at that time. so i did. I primed the sugar, bottled, and let them sit for 7 days. but the temp was around 58-62f kind cold..I tried one and it was FLAT and kinda tasted like water( alittle). Not sure what to do now any insite would help? Thanks for reading my post Jamie
oops I did take a reading on the first day ( I can't figure out how to read it) it said 5% and on the 3rd 8% and the 6th= 8%??
thanks Jamie

Seven days at 60F isn't long enough to carbonate...move the bottles to somewhere nearer to 70F and let them sit for another week or two.

1. neither the airlock, or a set amount of time determine when you are done fermentation. Use a hydrometer, a hydrometer, and a hydrometer. Even after the airlock stops bubbling, the yeast continue to clean up after themselves. MOST people leave their beer in primary for at least 2 weeks, 3 is better.

2. I didn't see where you used any top off water...are you doing full boils?

3. Carbonating your beer in the bottles will take no less than 2 weeks. Most will tell you that 3 weeks after bottling makes it perfect.

Good beer takes time. You may only have 3 to 7 hours involved in turning grains and water into a drinkable beer, but for those yeasties it is a full time 24 hour per day job. If you rush the process, nothing good will happen; you will become discouraged and likely quit brewing out of frustration. Remember, there is a chain of chemical and molecular reactions happening inside your bucket. Beer making is a science....not a magic trick.

I suggest trying your first few brews using pre-made extract kites (brewers best, northern brewer, austin homebrew, etc...) Even if you intend on being an all grain brewer, you should do this. Brewing is all about processes. The quicker you learn the basics of the brewing process, the quicker you will be making good beer.

Good Luck!

I really think he added and boiled malt grains and not extract.

you are probably right, but with the small amount of info he provided, who knows? if he boiled the grains though, the tannins would make that the nastiest thing in the world to drink!

Thanks for all the replys.
I only steeped the crushed/grains and then removed them from the pot. I did use a malt extract and having NO patience got the best of me!!! sorry for such a bad post I'll try to be more detailed next time. Do you all think I will can still drink the beer or will I get sick? Thanks again Jamie

1. neither the airlock, or a set amount of time determine when you are done fermentation. Use a hydrometer, a hydrometer, and a hydrometer. Even after the airlock stops bubbling, the yeast continue to clean up after themselves. MOST people leave their beer in primary for at least 2 weeks, 3 is better.

2. I didn't see where you used any top off water...are you doing full boils?

3. Carbonating your beer in the bottles will take no less than 2 weeks. Most will tell you that 3 weeks after bottling makes it perfect.

Good beer takes time. You may only have 3 to 7 hours involved in turning grains and water into a drinkable beer, but for those yeasties it is a full time 24 hour per day job. If you rush the process, nothing good will happen; you will become discouraged and likely quit brewing out of frustration. Remember, there is a chain of chemical and molecular reactions happening inside your bucket. Beer making is a science....not a magic trick.

I suggest trying your first few brews using pre-made extract kites (brewers best, northern brewer, austin homebrew, etc...) Even if you intend on being an all grain brewer, you should do this. Brewing is all about processes. The quicker you learn the basics of the brewing process, the quicker you will be making good beer.

Good Luck!

Thanks for your relpy! I did a boil of about 3.5 gal I'm sure that I didn't let it ferment long enough oops!! I have a batch in the bucket right now and I will let go for 10+ day this time. This batch it stoped bubbling after 2.5 day's is that normal? I was also wondering if it would be safe to dring my first batch?? thanks again Jamie

Thanks for your relpy! I did a boil of about 3.5 gal I'm sure that I didn't let it ferment long enough oops!! I have a batch in the bucket right now and I will let go for 10+ day this time. This batch it stoped bubbling after 2.5 day's is that normal? I was also wondering if it would be safe to dring my first batch?? thanks again Jamie
Give this batch 3 weeks in primary, then 3 in the bottle, and yeah, it can pretty much ferment out in a couple days. It's not done though. Give it time.

Yes, your first batch is safe to drink, but won't be great or even good, but it won't kill you unless a bottle explodes and cuts you in the wrong spot.

it won't kill you unless a bottle explodes and cuts you in the wrong spot.

Without a confirmation from a hydrometer that fermentation had fully finished, I'd be worried about bottle bombs having bottled a beer in less than a week (granted, I've had plenty of beers fully ferment out in less than a week). I'd recommend sticking them somewhere safe for the full 3 weeks carbonation, and handle them with caution.

This batch it stoped bubbling after 2.5 day's is that normal? thanks again Jamie

Depends on the brew, the yeast, the pitching rate, all sorts of factors. The container you're using is a big of one as any. A bucket won't have the best seal, so there can be no bubbles despite fermentation. Or a fully airtight carboy could just be releasing C02 in solution showing bubbles when there's no fermentation happening. Bubbles are pretty (and rewarding to watch) but are never a reliable indication of what's happening fermentation wise. Always, always use the hydrometer.

Back