PID to control 2 120v Elements?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cpt_Kirks

Reaction score
I am making a foam lid for my 10 gallon HLT. It will have two elbow plumbing fixtures, with 2000 watt 120v water heater elements in each. Each element will connect to a seperate 20 amp circuit w/GFCI.

At first, I am going to control the elements manually, just turn them off and on as needed to keep the temp steady.

Later, I would like to use a PID to handle this (a brewery is never done).

Can a PID control 2 seperate SSR's, with each SSR controlling one of the water heater elements?

I would like to just go 240v, but recent events have led me to beleive my panel won't support the extra current draw.

If you are asking, can a SINGLE PID switch TWO SSR's at the SAME time, sure. I dont see why not, you will just have to split the signal.

OR you could use ONE SSRD and get the same effect.

Suggested? Like the PID and SSR type?

PID Model SYL-2352 from Auber
SSR Model RS1A40D25 ... in your case you can get away with a 25A for a single element

I think he is maybe referring more to adding circuits... as he is going to use 2 already existing circuits, I think?

Wouldn't it make sense to just have a single element on the PID, and manually control the 2nd element for bringing things up to strike temp or boil - then just turn off the manually controlled element & allow the PID to maintain fine control ?

I'm considering a setup like that for an indoor system.

I think he is maybe referring more to adding circuits... as he is going to use 2 already existing circuits, I think?

Ya, I would assume that's what he meant. But, if his panel and existing (20 amp?) circuits are nearly maxed out, he'll certainly pop the breakers pulling 17+ amps per circuit at peak power.

I'm using two existing 20 amp circuits. I can add a 240v 30 amp GFCI breaker, but I think that will exceed the max for the panel.

Latest posts

Back