Apfelwein noob questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

adarelme

Reaction score
Hello folks, i got a few questions to ask about Apfelwein.

1) Is Apfelwein a wine or beer?

2) In the post it said add corn sugar to carbonated it. Is it a matter of Preference?

3) what kind of bottle to use? wine bottles or reguar beer bottles?

4) The only way to sweeten the tart is by adding wine conditioner, or 7up? Or there is a diffrent way to make it sweeter?

Sorry if i sound like a noob, but the Apfelwein looks so good, but i hate dry teasting alcohol drinks.

Thanks.

It's more of a cider.

2) In the post it said add corn sugar to carbonated it. Is it a matter of Preference?
Yes

If it's carbonated, you have to use beer bottles or plastic soda bottles. If it's not carbonated, it's your choice.

4) The only way to sweeten the tart is by adding wine conditioner, or 7up? Or there is a diffrent way to make it sweeter?
After it's fermented out, you can stabilize with campden and sorbate, and sweeten to taste, if you're not carbonating (similar to wine conditioner), or you can add unfermentable sugar like Splenda.

It will ferment out dry like most ciders.

yes there is! Wait, I'll think of it. There has to be something that Yooper didn't cover.

ah, shucks, BigKahuna's right...

Aye...but we can ask more questions and beat this dead horse. Here's one I've been thinking about. How much concentrate is a good starting point for backsweetening?

I have a question........I have started a 15 gallon batch in a keg. I plan to bottle some right away for consumption. Bottle some for aging both flat and carbonated. This is were my noobness gets the best of me. OK so for aging im going to want to stabilize with campden so the yeast cant reactivate in the future. But to carbonate im adding sugar to re activate the yeast. So can I age carbonated for a long period of time? or .........

If some one can explain this little conundrum Im having it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

It's more of a cider.

Yes

If it's carbonated, you have to use beer bottles or plastic soda bottles. If it's not carbonated, it's your choice.

After it's fermented out, you can stabilize with campden and sorbate, and sweeten to taste, if you're not carbonating (similar to wine conditioner), or you can add unfermentable sugar like Splenda.

It will ferment out dry like most ciders.

So if Im carbonating the apfelwein, just add splenda? How much for a 5 gallon carboy? Should I add the splenda to the bottling bucket before bottling? Do I need to add corn sugar, and splenda ( since the splanda is unfermentable) as well to carbonate it?

Thanks

Splenda alone will not carbonate your Apfelwein. You will need corn sugar to carbonate, and Splenda for added sweetness if you want it.

Aye...but we can ask more questions and beat this dead horse. Here's one I've been thinking about. How much concentrate is a good starting point for backsweetening?

Bump....Can anyone answer this one? I plan on backsweetening this week.

Did anyone have an answer for this yet? I have a 5gal batch going as well, and I would like to know how much Splenda to add for a sweeter taste when bottling.

Also, do more people seem to enjoy Apfelwein unsweetened or sweetened?

I would just add it after you pour it. So everyone can choose how they like it.
Sometimes splenda adds a fake sugar flavour that I don't enjoy.

I usually a little cranberry juice to sweeten it a little.

I used sprite to sweeten it a little for people. Very nice. Straight apple juice while pouring it works good too. and it cuts the abv for the light weights

I think i read somewhere 1 cup of splenda for 1 gallon of Apfelwein,

I think it's a little to much sugar. I may just carb it, and just add splenda, to the cup it self.

Back