blueberry wine

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hammer one

Reaction score
1st off I'm not a wine guy beer is my thing, but I have a friend that has loads of blueberrys for the picking. any way blueberry beer just dosn't sound right. So , how would I do it and how many lbs of berrys would it take to make wine? or should I just eat them?

there is a thread called awsome blueberry wine, supposedly pretty good. theres also blueberry cider threads and blueberry mead threads. I would say go for it with what ever choice you make. Im about to try a blueberry cider myself.

Just made some myself actually! I racked the wine into a carboy for long-term aging this weekend.

The goal is about 3 pounds of blueberries per a gallon of wine I think. The recipe I'm following is from homemadewine.wordpress.com

Jack Keller via http://winemaking.jackkeller.net/ has some recipes too.

BTW, I accidentally let my keg of your SP clone get too hot while in the keg for aging. I'll have to brew it again!

Also, I've tasted blueberry beer and it was actually very good. Initial beer flavor with blueberry aroma and a blueberry aftertaste. I'm thinking about doing blueberry apfelwien and possibly blueberry ale.

1st off I'm not a wine guy beer is my thing, but I have a friend that has loads of blueberrys for the picking. any way blueberry beer just dosn't sound right. So , how would I do it and how many lbs of berrys would it take to make wine? or should I just eat them?

If you have the patience, try a blueberry melomel, using fruit in both the primary AND the secondary. This should give you some added depth of flavour. For 6 gallons I'd use 6lbs fruit (pureed) in the primary (with pectic enzyme of course) and another 8 lbs (whole) in secondary; though you could certainly play with the amounts. 12-14lbs of clover honey ought to do the trick & your choice of yeast depends on what you want for an end product. Lalvin D-47 will go to 14% ABV, but I've heard it'll sometimes peter out at 12%. It'll also contribute to the overall mouth feel & will often add (according to Jack Keller) "ripe, spicy notes" when left on the lees... I've gotten a hint of cinnamon from plum melomel using D-47. Or you could use Lalvin EC-1118 (Prise De Mousse) This will take it to dryness (18%ABV) & is great for working on heavy, suspended pulps. There are plenty of good yeast strains out there though, use them like a tool. Either way, be sure to use the yeast nutrient & yeast energizer for a good, healthy fermentation. You might also (depending on your tastes) add a wee bit of tannin and/or oak. I'd age it all for at least 1 year before bottling, though I think it would be real smooth after an additional year in the bottle. OR, you could put them all through the blender, add water at the ratio of 1 part water to 2 parts blueberry puree, add a couple pounds of sugar, thrown your favourite yeast & let 'er rip. And any leftovers would go great with ice cream or cereal. Anyway, that just my 2 cents worth. I hope you find some of this info useful, GF.

Back