gusher

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fullstop22

Reaction score
I brewed a brown ale and for some reason can not get it to carbonate. I've swirled it kept it warm (after being to cool at the first carb try). I have read that adding yeast & or sugar might save it. I have added a few grains of yeast as
instructed in my reading no real results, now am trying 1/16th and 1/8 teaspoon yeast. The GUSHER part is when I added corn sugar after about 3 sec. the brew foamed & erupted leaving 1/2 beer in bottle. I am thinking the sugar is reacting to yeast in the bottle. any ideas?

How long are you waiting for it to carbonate? If you are leaving it for a week for more then there is no reason for it to not carbonate. My other thought is that your bottle capper is not working right. Something is not crimping down right and letting CO2 escape. If these are not possible and your letting them age enough to fully carb then you are missing something in your steps.

I brewed this in April and have messing with it on & off since. I put one in fridge today as the ones I opened to put yeast in seemed to have the hiss when opened. When I first bottled this beer I put in bottling bucket,the wife called with a flat tire 8 miles away. I left it in the bucket 45 min. bottled when I returned. Never had this problem before. Would you assume the gusher is caused by yeast in bottle?

your beer is apparently carbonated. when you're adding sugar now, the sugar molecules are giving the trapped CO2 something to bond to, and it starts rapidly coming out of solution.

(my dad used to put a dash of salt in beer at Pizza Hut, because he said it was flat)

Back