Beer Keg Natural Priming Issue

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wedge421

Reaction score
On my most recent keg of beer a Honey Weissen I decided that I was going to naturally carb it with priming sugar in a corny keg. Well i racked the beer and added 3/4 cups of priming sugar boiled with 2 cups of H2O. Yesterday was a week so I thought I would pull some off to see how it was going. Well when I did much to my surprise I got about 6-7 cups worth of foam so I vented a lot of the air from the keg. It still seems to have a ton of head in it. Will this settle down in the next 2 weeks or did I use way to much priming sugar and I should just throw it in my kegerator and force carb the rest.?

Thanks
CHris

Pretty sure you use less priming sugar for a keg, due to the difference in headspace vs. bottles.

Luckily, you can easily vent the excess to lower the CO2 volumes. The last thing you wanna do is force carb it more.

So I should just vent some more CO2 for the next few days? Because last night I vented until I heard no more coming out. Or should I just let it sit like it was at room temp for the next few days.

I've been using about 1/3 cup of corn sugar to prime my kegs and that seems to get me pretty close to the ball park of a standard carbonation level. I let them carbonate for a week at the temp they were fermented at, and then into the fridge. 24 hrs later I hook up the CO2 and most of the time the carbonation is about where I want it. I love being able to tweak my carbonation levels in the keg.

yes, vent it til it doesn't hiss. then more CO2 can leave the beer and fill the headspace...a few hours later it'll hiss like crazy again.

you'd be better off over venting it and having to force carb it again at serving psi for a few days. you can always take a very small sample 2 hours after venting to see where the beer is at now for carbonation. overshooting it a little can be pretty significant.

Nope I didnt cool the keg first. I think im gonna vent it one more time and put it in the fridge and see what happens. Thanks for all the help!@

vent it, chill it and check it 2-3 times a day and pull the relief valve to vent it off. When you are ready to serve it'll already be chilled and then you can adjust the pressure as needed. You'll be alright.

Also make sure your system is balanced for the amount of pressure in the keg. Generally folks start out with 10' of 3/16" and cut it down as they need. (make sure to keep the keg, and the line chilled too)

Yah, Ive read the half as much as well, but when I read that they were talking about specific sugar types. All I had was a package labeled Priming Sugar, which I wasnt sure if it was cane or dextrose or another form. So I averaged and got a 2/3 cups to 2 cups of water. So for a corney keg what amount of sugar to water do you guys use? Or do you just put the sugar in the keg without water boiled in it?

Back