Shaken fermenter?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Schwind

Reaction score
So I come down into my basement today, to find my girlfriend and my fermenting bucket next to my temp controlled cabinet. The fermenter had fallen over while my GF was trying to remove it from the cabinet. She said she wanted to take a gravity reading, (This is the first batch with her in control) and the bucket fell on its side when she took it out. :(

My question is: how much bad flavor does mixing the Krausen with the beer cause? I know some of it was resuspended when the bucket tipped.

Turns out the beer is almost at its final gravity range. maybe a day or two more.

As long as everything is sealed, everything is cool. Just let it sit and maybe think secondary to let everything settle out.

The krausen is suppose to sink back into the brew. I don't even worry about hydrometer readings until it has.

Wow, I was getting scared that the whole batch was spilled on the floor.
If everything stayed sealed, you should be fine. The krausen falls back in to the beer anyway, so there is nothing to worry about there. And as stated above, just let it sit a little longer and think about using a secondary.

Next, tell SWMBO to not touch ANYTHING unless you're around!
Kidding of course. Good to hear she's wanting to be involved.

Awesome! Thanks for the quick replies. She was really worried she screwed up the beer.

She won't try to lift five gallons of beer anymore I'm sure of that.(I cut off her arms.)

As for her involvment, she likes the hobby much better than the building of trucks hobby. She doesn't care for the science of it but she likes the other stuff. She even rummaged through parts bins at the hardware store helping me find pieces for a MLT cooler. She's a pretty cool chick.

Well now that you've cut her arms off, don't go crying that she never lifts a finger to help around the house any more!

I often give my primaries a slight shake to knock krausen back into the beer.

Wheat malt and belgian yeasts tend to carry my yeast up into the krausen where it gets "beached" on the fermenter walls and fermentation stalls. I have to shake it down to restart fermentation.

Back