Wyeast 1187 Ringwood Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mdweil

Reaction score
I've never used Wyeast 1187 Ringwood Ale before. What should I know about using this in a Black Ale?

How can I reduce the stress on this yeast? What temp range should I shoot for in fermentation? Any advice is welcome.

Thanks!

I used ringwood in a honey brown ale, 1.054 OG fermented around 66 degrees. (I don't have active thermal control). I just gave it lots of time to clean up after itself. No diacetyl or other off flavors, although it wasn't as attenuative as I would have expected, but it was fine for my style.

I used ringwood in a honey brown ale, 1.054 OG fermented around 66 degrees. (I don't have active thermal control). I just gave it lots of time to clean up after itself. No diacetyl or other off flavors, although it wasn't as attenuative as I would have expected, but it was fine for my style.

When you say lots of time, how long did you leave it in the primary fermenter? How long did the air lock bubble?

Thanks!

I never use airlock bubbling as an indicator for anything. It sat in the primary for a week, then racked to secondary for another two. That's probably a lot longer than necessary. If your pitch rate is ample, this is probably done in four days or so. I figure it would need a diacetyl rest after that.

I've used it a few times. It like lots of oxygen and open fermentation. it can be slow to start so pitch a good amount. ferment it on the cool side of 64 and let it ferment for at least 2 weeks

I got a pitch of this from a local brewery, straight from their conical. I was advised to oxygenate well, and not just depend on aeration. Also to plan for a diacetyl rest.

For more information look here: Recommend a strain for my nano

One of the more popular pub strains is NCYC1187. Otherwise known as Ringwood. You have to make sure you are pitching the correct amount of cells and give it plenty of O2.

It will reward you with extremely quick ferments. Very high flocculation. With most beers at 1.050 and under, fermentation will be done in 3-4 days.

If underpitched or not given enough O2 it can turn into a diacetyl bomb, so be careful.

How long should I plan on a diacetlyl rest? It started fermenting like crazy after about 36hrs in the fermenter and then fermented like crazy for the next 48-72hrs clogging multiple airlocks and nearly blew the lid off the lid off the fermenter. It's been in the primary for one week and the airlock still bubbles about every 45 seconds. Should I transfer this to a secondary now? How long should it sit in the secondary? OG was 1.08 and the temp is 66F. I have not taken a new gravity reading yet.

Many will raise to 68-70 for 24-48 hours after the fermentation is complete, then you can cold crash or whatever your next step is.

I've never cold crashed before. Should I transfer to a secondary first or leave it in the primary? How cold should I drop the temp? I am rather limited on space, how do you recommend I do this?

Thanks!

IMO you really need to taste it before you cold crash. if you pitched from the smack pack, you can taste right after fermentation is complete for a very educational experience of what diacetyl tastes like. then taste again in 3 days and see if it has been reduced. some lingering diacetyl is okay or maybe not, depending on what you are going for.

Is there much of an issue if I leave it in the primary for two weeks before racking to a secondary?

Should I leave the secondary in my garage where it is in the 30s at night and low 60s in the day?

Is there much of an issue if I leave it in the primary for two weeks before racking to a secondary?

Should I leave the secondary in my garage where it is in the 30s at night and low 60s in the day?
two weeks is good. the garage sounds fine.

should I leave it in the secondary, it will be a glass carboy, for 2 weeks and then bottle?

So, I just made a 12 gal batch of IPA with an OG of 1.078 that I pitched wyeast 1187 in. Well, actually I pitched the yeast on Saturday night. I made a 4L starter, but after 24 hrs, at the time of pitching, there was very little visible activity in my starter. I pitched it anyway, just so as I was pitching something in there. As of this morning, before I left for work, there was no visible activity in the fermenters, so I began another starter of wyeast 1968. Upon returning from work, I see that all of the fermenters are now starting to work. So, there was more than a 36 hr lag before any visible activity. I am guessing that I underpitched.

Do I pitch the 1968 London ESB, tomorrow, when that is rocking? or do I put that starter in a jar in the fridge, and feed it again the day before I brew next (about 2 weeks), and just wait to see what the Ringwood does. If it ends up being a diacetyl bomb, is there an easy way to remedy that situation? This is the first time I've had this problem, so I really don't know what the best course of action is.

Thanks a lot for any advice.

So, I just made a 12 gal batch of IPA with an OG of 1.078 that I pitched wyeast 1187 in. Well, actually I pitched the yeast on Saturday night. I made a 4L starter, but after 24 hrs, at the time of pitching, there was very little visible activity in my starter. I pitched it anyway, just so as I was pitching something in there. As of this morning, before I left for work, there was no visible activity in the fermenters, so I began another starter of wyeast 1968. Upon returning from work, I see that all of the fermenters are now starting to work. So, there was more than a 36 hr lag before any visible activity. I am guessing that I underpitched.

Do I pitch the 1968 London ESB, tomorrow, when that is rocking? or do I put that starter in a jar in the fridge, and feed it again the day before I brew next (about 2 weeks), and just wait to see what the Ringwood does. If it ends up being a diacetyl bomb, is there an easy way to remedy that situation? This is the first time I've had this problem, so I really don't know what the best course of action is.

Thanks a lot for any advice.

I would just put the 1968 in the fridge and save for a later date. The ringwood is going so let it do its thing. You may have slightly underpitched but 36 hours is not a long time. I also wouldn't worry too much of diacetyl. If treated right, there shouldn't be any. I've never had that problem anyway. What temp are you fermenting at? I tend to slowly raise the temperature after day 3-4 of fermentation by a degree a day until I hit about 70-72 F. This gives the yeast an extra "oomph" to ferment quickly and clean up any off flavors.

I have used 1187 a handful of times (a couple of IPAs in there), and really enjoyed the resulting beers. I generally use a long primary (4-5 weeks), which probably takes care of any diacetyl.

Back