soda stream

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jackfrost

Reaction score
So would it be possible to get a still stabilized cider then use this soda stream to make a bubbly drinkably sweet product like hornsby or woodchuck?
Any info would by appreciated.

BTW if it works this should potentially not leave sediment right?

Been thinking about that as well after my last batch of cider shot out of the bottle like champagne.

I made this with my Christmas Cider. After the secondary I killed the yeast and let the cider mature for 2 month. After that I sweetened up the cider to 1020 to balance the acidity, which I probably not could done with live yeast. Take your time when you release the pressure of the sodastream and be careful when you pour into your well cleaned bottles.
I cooled either bottles or cider, but it worked fine anyway.
Optionally, you can put the sugar in the bottles and carbonated cider as it is. That should work even better because it's the sugar that creates all the foam.

Do you need any special bottles? I just bought a soda stream and was thinging about making cider. Can I use bear bottles?

Woah. Hold the phone. This isn't going to work from what I can tell.

The wife bought me a Soda Stream for Christmas. It comes with one very thick 1L PET bottle. It has labels all over it that say very clearly to only carbonate plain water, then add flavorings. With the model I have, you can only thread on PET bottles. I don't see a way to easily disassemble the CO2 tube mechanism in case it got gunked up, which is why they probably want you to carb the plain water alone, to prevent bacterial infections. How you'd hook it up to a glass bottle is beyond me. I know there's a glass version available in the $200 range, but I don't have much knowledge of that one.

Also, supposedly you can't refill the Soda Stream tanks. You're supposed to exchange for a charged 60L canister. At $10 for less than 1# of CO2, that's pretty steep. I wouldn't mind so much if the housing it sits in didn't feel so darn cheap.

You're already out the door $80 with the base model, $200 with the glass model. You're better off buying a 5# tank ($60), getting it filled ($10), getting a basic regulator ($50) and using one of the many CO2-tank-to-PET-bottle adapters available ($15). The same 5# canister will last many times longer and cost the same to refill. If you decide to keg later, the tank and regulator can be utilized for that too. Both take up the same amount of space.

Speaking from experience, carbonating anything other than water with the Sodastream typically results in a foamy mess. While others have reported success by very slowly increasing the carbonation level, then very slowly relieving bottle pressure when removing the bottle, I've never been able to make it work for anything other than its intended purpose.

Use the site's advanced search function (in the dropdown) to search thread titles for "Sodastream." There are several threads on the topic, and the conclusion is usually negative.

Latest posts

Back