Back sweeten hard cider with soft cider question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hedo-Rick

Reaction score
What up, Ya'll?

I would like to back sweeten my hard cider with soft cider, but am having a hell of a time wrapping my head around the math for what the final gravity would be.

Say I have 5 gallons of hard cider at a gravity of 1.000,
and I was to add to it on gallon of soft cider at a gravity of 1.056,
What would the final gravity be for the total volume of 6 gallons be?

I think the right answer is 1.009. I came to that conclusion by taking .056/6=.009 and then adding the 1.000 for 1.009. Again, that is figuring 6 final volume of 6 gallons. Am I close, or are my math skills worse than I think?

But to be honest, I'm really trying to get to a gravity of 1.013 after back sweetening with soft cider, so any help anyone can give me with the math is greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

how about using your 1 gallon and then using aj concentrate to get that little extra bump?

You're absolutely right, the AJ concentrate would give me the extra bump. But what I'm unsure about is my initial calculation when adding the one gallon of sweet juice to the fully fermented juice. I've never done this before, so I'm not sure if just dividing the gravity of the sweet juice by 6 and then adding the gravity of the fermented juice is the right calculation. IE.. .056(gravity of sweet cider)/6(total volume in gallons)=0.009
Then take 1.000+0.009=1.009. Is that the right math? It seems simple enough, but every time I think I have something figured out I read something that seems to contradict what I think I know. I just need some confirmation on my math. I know it's a very simple calculation, but I just need to know if I'm seeing this right or wrong.

Back