Gavroche - French Red Recipe?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TNGabe

Reaction score
Wow, bought a bottle when I saw it at App Vintner and remembered that it's featured in Farmhouse Ales. In spite of what the tickers say, I think it's the best thing since Westmalle Dubbel. Anyone tackled a clone or take on the style? Seems pretty straight forward from description in FA. Planning on using Wyeast Kolsch II that's in the fridge.

Edit: The 80% Munich, 20% Pils from the book leaves a lot of options on the Munich, eh?

Enjoying another bottle now - found some 33's at the spendy beer store for $3.75 a piece! Haven't seen many recipes for beers based on Gavroche online and I think it's a classic, so here's my recipe (for what it's worth).

I'm using Riverbend Malt - 80% Heritage (11lbs) - about 7 Lov, and 20% Pale (2.75lbs) - 3 Lov. If you don't live near Asheville, use light Munich. 10% (by extract 1lb) each turbinado and table sugar. 1.75l starter (biggest I can do) of wlp072. Bittering with Brewer's Gold at 60 min and 1/2 oz Strisselspalt at 30 min for 25 IBU. Pitching at 64 and letting it rise up to 70 or 72 at the end, with main phase at 68-70. Shooting for 1.073 OG & 1.008 FG. Lager near or slightly below freezing for 4 weeks. Bottle conditioning, aging as long as I can stand it.

If I hit all my numbers (hey, there's a first time for everything) this beer should be slightly lighter in color, higher in alcohol, and very close on IBU. Not that anyone cares, but I'm excited about this brew. I'll be making my first batch tuesday am, hopefully it'll be tasty by new year's eve.

Back