Yeast starter size and OG

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

damdaman

Reaction score
So this may be a dumb question, but I see references to starter size all over the place, how many ml you want depending on the size and OG of your batch of beer. I've just been using the standard method of 2 cups water + 2/3 cups DME that I've seen around, as I haven't been making beers above about 1.060 lately.

My question is how is the volume measured? Is this the amount of wort you create for the starter POST boil/cooling? So you have to book up a bunch of wort and then measure out the right amount and add the yeast to that? Because I imagine if you measure the water before you boil the DME, you lose a chunk to evaporation, but then adding the DME to the water might more or less offset that?

And if you're making a bigger starter, does that mean you want to increase the DME to match the increase in water on the same rate (keeping the OG the same as 2 cups water + 2/3 DME), or do you shoot for a higher OG starter since you'll be making a higher OG beer?

Also what is the preferred method on HBT for pitching the starter? High krausen or chill/decant/pitch just the yeast?

Finally, anyone ever add a few hop cones to the starter boil and then drink the beer you decant off? :)

My question is how is the volume measured?

I measure the volume of water using measuring cups and measure the weight of DME using digital kitchen scale. DME density is approximately 25 pcf.

Is this the amount of wort you create for the starter POST boil/cooling? So you have to book up a bunch of wort and then measure out the right amount and add the yeast to that? Because I imagine if you measure the water before you boil the DME, you lose a chunk to evaporation, but then adding the DME to the water might more or less offset that?

The volume is PRE boil. You will only be boiling the wort for 10-15 minutes so the boil off will be negligible.

And if you're making a bigger starter, does that mean you want to increase the DME to match the increase in water on the same rate (keeping the OG the same as 2 cups water + 2/3 DME), or do you shoot for a higher OG starter since you'll be making a higher OG beer?

Basically you are aiming for a starter of about 1.040 OG. I use 0.25 cup DME/cup water ratio.

Also what is the preferred method on HBT for pitching the starter? High krausen or chill/decant/pitch just the yeast?

Opinions will vary but I chill, decant the wort, and pitch the yeast when the yeast starter size is greater than 5% of the batch size.

Finally, anyone ever add a few hop cones to the starter boil and then drink the beer you decant off? :)

I don't.

To determine the pitch rate: http://www.mrmalty.com/calc/calc.html

Most of us use metric for starters because it's easier. A 1.2L starter gets 120g of DME added to it, and then topped off until it has 1.2L in it. Don't worry about evaporation - sure there's some but not a big deal.

Most people try to completely ferment out their starter, crash it, decant, and pitch. If I haven't planned well I'll pitch a batch at high krausen, and I always avoid pitching the liquid from a non-active starter. It's probably not a huge flavor contribution, but it's something.

Back