Hey Portlanders! Whats your favorate area brewery?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shinglejohn

Reaction score
Im heading out to portland for my summer vaca this year and am curious as to what everyones favorite breweries are in the area?

#1 Allagash
#2 Maine Brewing Company

Absolutely don't miss Novare Res or the Great Lost Bear; those are 2 of the top beer bars in the country.

Geary's is worth a visit for the history, but the two aforementioned are by far the best breweries in the area.

Go to Green Dragon which is a brewery but you aren't there because it is.

Hopworks is very good, they make flaw free beer which is sadly not the norm in Portland.

I used to right off Laurelwood, but I was there last year and the beers were very good.

Hit the Pearl District and do Bridgeport, Deschutes (Satellite brewpub) and Rogue (bar and distillery). If df is still open they make pretty interesting food, as does Andina.

The bar at Higgins is the best place to drink beer in Portland, if not the world.

Enjoy the 37th best beer city in the country!

I'd argue that The Horse Brass is the best place to drink beer in Portland. Over 45 taps (dunno how many now, haven't been there in years) and ALL of them craft beers, and usually a couple of beers on cask. Worth checking out for a good cross section of local beers in one location. Nice bar too.

Not a local but couldn't help but jumping in. Had a tough time not finding a place I enjoyed...got a tour of the Rock Bottom brewery by the BM Van...he was a character, & enjoyed his beers if you're into more session/Euro styled beers. Deschutes was incredible, Rogue had an impressive line-up. I could have skipped Full Sail pub, but the happy hour prices on fish tacos made the trip there well worth it. Laurelwood got big thumbs up...unfortunately never got over to Hopworks or sampled Ninkasi.
Horse Brass was a great beer bar, i've been to better in different parts of the country but a good one overall.

I'd argue that The Horse Brass is the best place to drink beer in Portland. Over 45 taps (dunno how many now, haven't been there in years) and ALL of them craft beers, and usually a couple of beers on cask. Worth checking out for a good cross section of local beers in one location. Nice bar too.

I'm not really a tap counter (Horse Brass is nothing special via that metric anyway, and Green Dragon probably has more) but I do like Horse Brass. I couldn't stand it before the smoking ban.

For my preferences Higgins has much better food, a much better atmosphere, and it's on the West Side and I have a West Side bias.

looks like a nice place, I will keep that in mind the next time I am up there too.

tap list
http://www.horsebrass.com/?page_id=365

The Horse Brass is nice, but Henry's Tavern on 12th has over 100 beers on tap. Plus they have a ice ring around the bar to keep your beer cold.

As far as brewery's, they've been mentioned but Hopworks is great, Rogue is worth going to, and Deschutes is also fun. The New Old Lompoc looks rather divey, but has some really good beer as well.

I'm not really a tap counter (Horse Brass is nothing special via that metric anyway, and Green Dragon probably has more) but I do like Horse Brass. I couldn't stand it before the smoking ban.

For my preferences Higgins has much better food, a much better atmosphere, and it's on the West Side and I have a West Side bias.

I'm the opposite. I lived in Northwest for a few years, then SE for about 6 years and have a eastside bias. Higgins has great food but can't say I ever even saw a bar there that I recall. I prefer a more working class kind of "pub" myself but can't comment on Higgins bar as I only ever ate there.

The Horse Brass is nice, but Henry's Tavern on 12th has over 100 beers on tap. Plus they have a ice ring around the bar to keep your beer cold.

As far as brewery's, they've been mentioned but Hopworks is great, Rogue is worth going to, and Deschutes is also fun. The New Old Lompoc looks rather divey, but has some really good beer as well.

Never heard of this Henry's but that sounds great! Guess they opened sometime after I left in 2002???

I'm the opposite. I lived in Northwest for a few years, then SE for about 6 years and have a eastside bias. Higgins has great food but can't say I ever even saw a bar there that I recall. I prefer a more working class kind of "pub" myself but can't comment on Higgins bar as I only ever ate there.

Never heard of this Henry's but that sounds great! Guess they opened sometime after I left in 2002???

The bar is separate (the kitchen is in between). The menu in the bar is separate, charcuterie, smoked fish, sandwiches, nothing really over $18 or so. They had a dedicated beer buyer over a decade ago. Hair of the Dog makes a beer called Greg (after Greg Higgins) that is only served there. I left before RR distributed in OR but apparently Higgins is one of the easiest places to find Pliny The Elder, probably since people coming from suburbs to drink beer will likely hit up SE since there are more places there. It was on my walk home for a couple of years so I went there a lot and gained a loyalty, such as people do.

I went to Henry's once. They have the biggest draught selection in Portland but it is most definitely not a beer bar. If you have been to a yardhouse, it's basically the same. I can't imagine ever going there and I lived across the street for a couple of years. I think it opened around 2004.

The bar is separate (the kitchen is in between). The menu in the bar is separate, charcuterie, smoked fish, sandwiches, nothing really over $18 or so. They had a dedicated beer buyer over a decade ago. Hair of the Dog makes a beer called Greg (after Greg Higgins) that is only served there. I left before RR distributed in OR but apparently Higgins is one of the easiest places to find Pliny The Elder, probably since people coming from suburbs to drink beer will likely hit up SE since there are more places there. It was on my walk home for a couple of years so I went there a lot and gained a loyalty, such as people do.

I went to Henry's once. They have the biggest draught selection in Portland but it is most definitely not a beer bar. If you have been to a yardhouse, it's basically the same. I can't imagine ever going there and I lived across the street for a couple of years. I think it opened around 2004.

Sounds great.

On another note, from what I gather from Alan Sprints, Hair of the Dog's tasting room should be open sometime soonish (dunno exactly). I'll be in PDX myself in October if all works out with the work schedule and will definitely be hitting HotD.

+1.
Henry's has a lot of taps of crap, Horse Brass has 53 taps of great beer. Green Dragon has something like 50 taps of great beer also.

Back