What would I use for a mash tun?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OntarioBeerKegs

Reaction score
I am currently in the middle of building my first all grain set up. I managed to get my hands on a 24inch X 48inch SS cylinder and some 3/16th plate and had two pots welded out of them that should hold 47gallons each. I wish to play with 10g brews until I figure out what I am doing and plan to be doing 30g boils by next summer. I will be using NG indoors. So far it looks like I will be welding legs straight on to the 3/16th plate of the HLT and Boilpot possibly with wheels because of the sheer weight.

I am stumped on what I should use for a MLT that will give me room to make batches from 10-30gallons and hold the heat. Can I just heat a MLT to keep my temperature up or do I need it to hold the temperature? Any suggestions would be great I just can not picture how to insulate such a big vessel efficiently. I intend to use stainless, I tend to go overboard and have learned just go nuts from the start is cheaper in the long run.

I agree with you on going nutz from the start. I am in the same boat as you; I want to start a brewery someday, so I’ve bought things way larger than I really need. I am going to build a MLT with a false bottom and a 9000w rims system to hold temp, and just insulate the thing with some wrap of some sort. Just got the rims, and am about to try my first batch of 10 gallon with it, and intend to do it with 50 later. If you can find any kind of ss and insulate it will work, I’ve seen people using sinks and weird **** like that, but it works well if its insulated.

Back