Cold crash

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

camneel83

Reaction score
So I've Converted to primary only when I brew but have never used the crash cooling technique. I've read the general rule of thumb is 3 days to clear the beer out. Would it affect the beer negatively if I crash cooled for more than 3 days. I wouldn't think it would but not 100 percent sure. The reason I ask is because my schedule is completely unpredictable and I can be on the road for up to 6 days at a time. Thanks!

Cam

I usually Cold condition for a week but you can cold condition/lager for several months. If going for that length of time I'd have a tendency to rack but certainly 7 - 10 days is no drama.

How long was your primary fermentation? If it was more than 3 weeks and you will be gone for a week . I would rack into a secondary before you cold crash. Once you cold crash the length of time is immaterial.

How long was your primary fermentation? If it was more than 3 weeks and you will be gone for a week . I would rack into a secondary before you cold crash. Once you cold crash the length of time is immaterial.

I was just wondering why rack to secondary?

Back