Layered 2ndary

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Machiavelli

Reaction score
Belgian Trappist Tripel
1 week in primay
2.5 week in secondary thus far

I added some gelatin finings a few days ago (1st time using it) and planned on bottling a couple of days later.

A day later, I noticed that the brew was layered. The top quarter was/is pretty clear, while the bottom 3/4 is still clouded. Anyway, its been three days and has not changed at all? Should I give it a few more days? I was kinda hoping to get in bottles by now. Okay to bottle now and let it clear up in the bottles? Is that still gelatin floating in bottome 3/4, or just yeasties? No particles.....just a bit clouded.

Thx
M

What was your OG, the measured FG?

One word - wait. A trippel really needs a lonooooog primary and secondary.

I used to follow the 1-2-3 rule and my beers were disappointing to say the least.
My rule of thumb: 1.040 OG beer can be bottled on week 5, add a week for every .01 over 1.040.

EDIT:
I never even move to secondary unless FG readings over a 1 week time period were steady and at the expected FG.
Often times I skip secondary altogether

Cool....ill give it a bit longer. I was just worried about yeast dying out before bottling, especially since I added the clearing agent. I heard that it will settle the yeast out?

Im ashamed to admit that I didnt write down the OG. I DID test it though and believe it was around 1.07...does that sound right for a triple? I think that it was supposed to actually be a bit higher. I think the bucket was a bit water-topped though when i took the reading.

Gravity after 9 days in primary, before transferring to 2ndary was a bit under 1.02. I never get a good reading on those things. Anyway, i wanted to get it out of primary as soon is is was mostly fermented out. I had pitched two smack packs and hella-violent fermentation...had blown the top off bucket on day2 and i had to rig a blowoff....but all kinds of crusty crap dried all around the lid and bucket. HUGE yeast cake and sludge in primary....kinda wanted it off of that. This was my first time racking and first time using a carboy.......so maybe that layer is normal.

Anyway, ill leave another week or so, if you think there will plenty of yeast left for bottling.

Thanks!
M

BJCP says 1.075-1.085 for OG but FG should be at or below 1.008 and 1.014 for the dryness you expect in a belgian. Moving it off the yeast will not get it down there. You man need to check in on it over the next few weeks to see if it's dropping any more interms of gravity. If you're stuck at or around 1.020 its not "to style" but I wouldn't care. If it concerns you greatly you can pirch a packet of a neutral yeast (Safale 05 or some champagne) to get you to your proper FG.

Yeast is your friend. I have been leaving my beers on the yeast for three weeks minimum lately. I've noticed an improvement.

Back