Founders Oatmeal Chocolate/coffee stout..

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GIusedtoBe

Reaction score
recipe from a recent BYO magazine. Anybody tried it? Anybody tried the original thing.

I brewed the AG version yesterday just because I thought it looked interesting and I like stouts. I've never tried the original.

Regards,
Alan

I'm assuming your talking about the Breakfast stout? If you are, I haven't brewed the clone, but I have drank the original. I think it is a fantastic beer. Let us know how yours turns out. I have that issue of BYO as well, and thought about brewing it myself.

I'm assuming your talking about the Breakfast stout? If you are, I haven't brewed the clone, but I have drank the original. I think it is a fantastic beer. Let us know how yours turns out. I have that issue of BYO as well, and thought about brewing it myself.

Yep, thats the one. Bubbling away in the primary as I type. Any other beers compare to this brew?

Regards,
Alan

The breakfast stout is a great beer. It packs so much flavor and is really balanced between the coffee/chocolate/oat flavors. My favorite local bar had it on tap for about 2 months and mysteriously yesterday they ran out, perhaps never to have it again because it was just a special. I was extremely disappointed because it was probably the best stout i had ever tried. What are the chances some one could post the AG recipe on here? I would love to brew it at home...

What are the chances some one could post the AG recipe on here? I would love to brew it at home...

100%:D

From BYO:

13.2 lbs 2-row pale malt
22 ozs flaked oats
1 lb Chocolate malt (350 L)
12 ozs roast barley malt (450 L)
9 ozs debittered black malt
7 ozs crystal malt (120 L)
2 ozs ground Sumatran coffee
2 ozs ground Kona coffee
2.5 ozs dark bittersweet bakers chocolate
1.5 ozs unsweetened chocolate baking nibs (no idea what this is exactly but I used 100% cacao unsweetened bakers chocolate which I would think would work and is in the grocery)
14.3 AAU Nugget pellet hops 60 min (1 oz @ 13% AA) (I used Yakima Magnum of the same AA)
2.5 AAU Willamette pellet hops 30 min (1/2 oz @ 5% AA)
2.5 AAU Willamette pellet hops 0 min
1/2 tsp yeast nutrient 15 min
1/2 tsp Irish moss 15 min
WLP 001 or Wyeast 1056

OG 1.078 FG 1.020 ABV 7.5%

Single step infusion mash for 60 minutes at 155 F . They say to use 3.75 gallons of 172 degree water to stabilize at 155 but I did my own calculations and added a bit of mash water because with so much grain it was way too thick IMO @ 3.75 gallons.

Add the Sumatran coffee and the two kinds of chocolate at flameout, cool the wort and aerate well. Ferment at 68 F to completion and then add the Kona to a secondary and dry hop w/ coffee for one week. Bottle as usual.

I'll let you know how mine turns out.

Good Luck,
Alan

I think it may be a seasonal brew which may explain it's absence....

All I know is I am going to Founder's on Saturday and can not wait! They have my favorite Centennial IPA and red Rye as well as I want to try this breakfast stout if they have it. seriously good beer come out of Founder's.

I made this over the weekend using bittersweet bakers chocolate and unsweetened chocolate chips. The chocolate went in after boil. I was left with alot of unmelted chocolate residue in my boil kettle. I am guessing this will reduce the chocolate flavor.I may try adding chocolate extract or cocoa powder in the secondary. We had Founder's at a local bar 2wks ago, I'm hoping mine turns out close.

Hopefully bottling my AG attempt this weekend. Did a 2 week primary and am going to cold-brew the Kona in a French Press and add at bottling. For the Sumatran I placed the grounds between two stapled together coffee filters at flameout (improvisation!). The baker's chocolate and nibs, I decided to add at 15 mins so they had time to melt.

This is one of the best smelling fermentations I ever had... There was an awesomely deep underlying velvety chocolate smell... It was amazing.

This is one of the best smelling fermentations I ever had... There was an awesomely deep underlying velvety chocolate smell... It was amazing.

Mine smells awesome as well. I followed the recipe and added the chocolate at flameout. I would assume 212 F liquid would have no prob melting chocolate but my fermenter does look like a giant cup of hot chocolate! Can't wait to try this one.

Regards,
Alan

I had some of this yesterday at Founder's. Really an excellent, well balanced beer. I may put this on my to do list.Hopefully your clone tries turn out.

Hopefully bottling my AG attempt this weekend. Did a 2 week primary and am going to cold-brew the Kona in a French Press and add at bottling. For the Sumatran I placed the grounds between two stapled together coffee filters at flameout (improvisation!). The baker's chocolate and nibs, I decided to add at 15 mins so they had time to melt.

Let us know how this turns out. I plan on brewing it soon.

Where can I find the coffee grounds? Local store or what?

my local store had them but its not cheap. They were like $12 per lb and only sold in lb sizes :(

Mine had them but not by the OZ :(

Anyway after 20 days in the primary I took a reading last night...1.024 :eek:

It has an OG of 1.090 at 4.5 gals but I topped off to 5 gal. The hydro sample was cloudy and filled with a ton of coffee so im racking off later this week and adding the second coffee addition.

Mine had them but not by the OZ :(

Anyway after 20 days in the primary I took a reading last night...1.024 :eek:

It has an OG of 1.090 at 4.5 gals but I topped off to 5 gal. The hydro sample was cloudy and filled with a ton of coffee so im racking off later this week and adding the second coffee addition.

Did you use the recipe in BYO? Supposedly it came straight from the guy at Founders. I think the FG is supposed to be 1.020 so you are not far off but the OG was supposed to be 1.078 for 5 so you were probably pretty close.

Mine was 1.074 with ~5.5 gallons. I rack to secondary this Sunday and I'll let you know what the gravity is. Did you taste the hydrometer sample?

Regards,
Alan

I moved it to a secondary today and only have 3.75 gals and the biggest mess ever cleaning the carboy :mad: Almost 2 gals of trub

Not sure I will be doing this one again :(

Anybody else put this recipe into a brewing program? I'm only getting ~50 IBUs. Also, the real thing is 8.3%...why would they share a recipe that's 7.5%? The all grain version is based on 66% efficiency if you use the grain they suggest. Their website also shows 25 IBUs, not 60.

I moved it to a secondary today and only have 3.75 gals and the biggest mess ever cleaning the carboy :mad: Almost 2 gals of trub Not sure I will be doing this one again :(

I had about an inch of tightly compacted chocolate at the bottom of mine... I fermented with Safale-04 which compacts nicely - not sure what they recommended to pitch. Nothing a rinse and an OxyClean soak couldn't break up.

I also stapled my coffee grinds between two coffee filters before I tossed them in the boil, to try and somewhat contain them. Seemed to work pretty well. Also, I didn't add the Kona grinds straight at bottling, I cold brewed them in a French Press and just poured the coffee in.

Anybody else put this recipe into a brewing program? I'm only getting ~50 IBUs. Also, the real thing is 8.3%...why would they share a recipe that's 7.5%? The all grain version is based on 66% efficiency if you use the grain they suggest. Their website also shows 25 IBUs, not 60.

I put it into Beertools... My FBS adjusted recipe

I upped the base malt to get to 8.3%. I also lowered the bittering hop because I did the same thing you did - checked Founder's site. So I tried to target Founder's real stats.

I've got my carboy in a big plastic tub of water so i can't see the bottom but it looks like most of my beers. I'm racking tomorrow so i will post my results. I thought the Kona coffee was for the secondary, not at bottling? I just threw the grounds in thinking that they would settle like yeast. Got my fingers crossed.

BTW the recipe calls for WLP 001 or WY 1056 which I think is the same as S-04 anyway right?

I'll post followup notes tomorrow.

Regards,
Alan

I thought the Kona coffee was for the secondary, not at bottling?

Hmmm.... I am inclined to say there's not a big difference there with something like coffee, that's non-fermentable... Fruit, you would obviously add to 2ndary since it has sugar that will ferment, but coffee is essentially a flavoring. I didn't actually do a 2ndary on this (time crunch), I left in primary for 2 weeks.

I just threw the grounds in thinking that they would settle like yeast. Got my fingers crossed.

I wasn't sure what to expect there... Last thing I wanted was a layer of floating coffee mud come bottling time. So I decided to cold brew it. Everything I've read about coffee and brewing leads me to cold brew and add to avoid harshness. And this French Press I got is super sweet for straining out grinds.

So.... I just didn't want to gamble with that part! Hope it worked for you!

I wasn't sure what to expect there... Last thing I wanted was a layer of floating coffee mud come bottling time. So I decided to cold brew it. Everything I've read about coffee and brewing leads me to cold brew and add to avoid harshness. And this French Press I got is super sweet for straining out grinds.

Why not just bag the grounds and throw them in? It's essentially the same as cold pressing that way.

OK I moved this beer to secondary and I am very excited about this one! THe hydrometer sample was very tasty. Can't wait to try this finished product.

THe coffee was a mess in the secondary but hopefully, most of it will settle to the bottom.

The trub was a bit more than usual but that would be expected of a beer w/ everything but the kitchen sink in it.

My FG was a bit high at 1.022 but the recipe called for 1.020 so hopefully it will drop a bit in secondary but if not, Oh well.

Sitting at about 6.8% ABV right now since I made 5.5 instead of the called for 5 gallons with the same grain bill.

Awesome results so far. Will let you know how it turns out after secondary and bottling.

Regards,
Alan

Hmmm.... I am inclined to say there's not a big difference there with something like coffee, that's non-fermentable...

The Kona is like adding spice or hops to a secondary. Neither of these are fermentable, but both add a huge amount of flavor and aroma.

so I want to brew this today but won't have the chocolate or coffee till this weekend. Any foreseeable problem/big difference with doing the chocolate and both coffee additions in the secondary?

Mine needs 2 more weeks in the bottle :(

the sample was very bitter but I read that it ages out.

Hey DubbelDach - I think I'm going to brew this this coming weekend. I'm not sure if my LHBS has debittered black malt - did you make any substitutions other than the yeast in your batch?

Hey DubbelDach - I think I'm going to brew this this coming weekend. I'm not sure if my LHBS has debittered black malt - did you make any substitutions other than the yeast in your batch?

I'd probably just sub in some black patent malt.

No major substitutions... maybe just the country of origin for a malt, say British chocolate malt for American... used what I had...

I haven't compared them yet... I just don't have any Founders' around anymore. Might go look for some this weekend. I gave a bottle to a friend who has some though... We'll see what he says.

I think I'm going to cold brew both of the coffee additions, I don't want to deal with the grounds. I found cocao nibs at my local co-op. Luckily, living in the northwest there are several options for the coffee at my local grocery store.

Mine is 2 weeks in the bottle this Sunday and I'm dying to try it. I might have to pull a newb trick and try one since Wyeast 1056 usually carbs up in a week or so.

The coffee grounds were a mess in the fermenter and the secondary but they all pretty much sank and sat on the bottom w/ the yeast cake. I was able to siphon off clean beer into the bottling bucket with little or no coffee grounds making there way into the bottles.

Will post back when I try one.

Regards,
Alan

Okay I could'nt wait and I just had one.

Dominant taste was of strong coffee and roasted barley. Kind of what you would expect. I like it but I think it will definitely improve drastically with time when the coffee flavor mellows. i could'nt really taste the chocolate but the original article in BYO said that the choc flavors come out later after it matures. As it is now, i almost reached for the creamer!

This one's gonna be real good. Can't compare to the original because I've never had it.

Good luck with yours,
Alan

I put mine in the fermenter a few hours ago. I boosted the 2-row to 15.75 lbs to try to hit the ABV of Founders Breatfast Stout. I made a 1 liter yeast starter and pitched WLP001. The OG on mine came in at 1.080. I cold brewed the 2oz of Sumatra for 6 hours in my french press and added the consentrated coffee at flameout with the chocolate & cocao nibs. Really looking forward to this imperial stout. I had a cappuccino stout at a local bar on last Thursday and loved it.

c931283ef4d377a163a4c464fe392e70.jpg

I'm planning this as my next brew, but to put my own spin on it I thought I might try throwing a cinnamon stick into the mix. Any suggestions on when the best time would be to do that (or whether it's a horrible idea)? I've thrown a cinnamon stick into the coffee pot when brewing coffee and the Cinnamon accent is great.

I've done 2 ozs of cinnamon sticks in a couple of 5 gallon christmas porters. I threw them in at 30 minutes left and it was tasted right. Aged well too!

Personally though, I hate flavored coffees. However with everything else going on in this beer, the cinnamon could make it very interesting, and traditionally aztec. Mexican hot chocolate has heavy cinnamon, and sometimes powdered hot peppers as well.

Keep us posted!

Latest posts

Back