Malted Milk

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hammacks

Reaction score
So I'm looking at the back of a Carnation Malted Milk container as I have a malt shake (so good). The ingredients, in order, are: wheat flour and malted barley extracts, milk, soy lecithin, salt, sodium bicarbonate.

Dumb Idea? I have a one gallon jug that is about to be vacated as soon as I bottle my orange wine. I could make a wort of just malted milk and water and play with it to get a good SG. I looked around but didn't see anything on this. Would the dry milk spoil?

I'm answering unanswered threads right now, so here's my shot at yours...

flour won't convert, so it'll be cloudy as heck. I don't know if the milk will spoil or not, but I don't think it will be a very tasty thing, but what the heck? It's an experiment, right?

FWIW, in China, or maybe it's korea or japan? There's a fermented beverage that people here are calling Bilk. Yup, fermented milk. I heard about it a number of months ago... so you wouldn't be the first one to give something like this a try.

I'm answering unanswered threads right now, so here's my shot at yours...

flour won't convert, so it'll be cloudy as heck. I don't know if the milk will spoil or not, but I don't think it will be a very tasty thing, but what the heck? It's an experiment, right?

FWIW, in China, or maybe it's korea or japan? There's a fermented beverage that people here are calling Bilk. Yup, fermented milk. I heard about it a number of months ago... so you wouldn't be the first one to give something like this a try.
Mokkli in Korea always smells like spoiled milk to me...I've never had it for this reason...can't get it past my nose...:eek:

Back