How many bubbles should there be?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jesse17

Yep....I tell you what...
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I started my first batch of Apple Cider last night. I used 5 gal. cider, and one packet of Red Star's Pasteur Champagne. It's been fermenting for about 15 hours now in a 68 deg. F. room, and I'm getting about 1 bubble every min. or two. Is this normal?

I kind of expected more bubbles, expecially after reading a thread on here where someone thought their cider was done because after two weeks his bubbles had slowed to that amount.

you may get alot, you may get some, you may not get any.

a good rule of thumb is not to judge your fermentation by the bubbles, they are just for show, so to speak.

on the other hand your fermentation is probably going along just fine, keep using you hydrometer, that will let you know if it is done or not down the road

I just finished fermenting my first gallon of cider, and for the first couple days I had next to no activity, but by days 5-7 it was going nuts (at its peak about two bubbles per second, for a single gallon).

I'd just give it time before worrying about what's normal - I had tons of questions about what was normal and doubts about whether or not it was working at first, but after finishing the process once it all makes sense.

my second cider was totally different from my first, as far as bubbles and whatnot.

I wouldn't worry.

Well, I just came home, and it's been almost 3 full days since pitching the yeast. I was happy to see 1-2 bubbles per second. Yippee. I haven't been workied though, it's was doing 4 per min. by 24 hrs. and 8-9 p/min. by 48hrs.

Man I don't think that any of my brews have bubbled that much - not that I've ever really payed all too much attention, and they've all tasted pretty good and worked out ok.
Good to hear that it really was OK, cos once it's done you really will be able to RDWHAHB. :cross:

JeanLucD said:
Man I don't think that any of my brews have bubbled that much - not that I've ever really payed all too much attention, and they've all tasted pretty good and worked out ok.
Good to hear that it really was OK, cos once it's done you really will be able to RDWHAHB. :cross:
HA! Make a weizen...you'll swear there's a steam engine in there...like 10 bubbles per second! :D

Back