Hop sludge in my primary.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Space Butler

Reaction score
I have a green sludge below my trub in my new batch of bavarian hefe. Usually all the green junk raises in the krausen and deposits itself on the sides of the carboy. Will the submerged hop resins destroy the flavor of my beer. Right now it smells fine (like yummy bananas and alcohol).

Leftover hops in the fermenter have very little impact on the flavor, unless they are from a flame-out add.

david_42 said:
Leftover hops in the fermenter have very little impact on the flavor, unless they are from a flame-out add.

I can't find the answer elsewhere, so sorry to ask again...

After you've cooled the wort and poured it into the Primary, should you also pour in all the hops that are leftover from the boil?

If not, how does the final hopping do its job of providing aroma?

Thanks,

OneShoeBrew said:
I can't find the answer elsewhere, so sorry to ask again...

After you've cooled the wort and poured it into the Primary, should you also pour in all the hops that are leftover from the boil?

If not, how does the final hopping do its job of providing aroma?

Thanks,

If you can avoid it, people usually do not. The aroma addition does its job with the hot wort, before you cool. If you let them sit longer you could start to extract flavors too, so I have heard. They are sometimes called "grassy." Most people like to add at flame out, cool, separate the hops from the wort, and then add more dry hops if more aroma is needed.

BTW, Welcome! :mug:

Back