Rookie mistake...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pdeezy

Reaction score
Usually when I'm mashing (Partial mash on an electric stove top) I walk by every ten mins or so and put the burner on Low for a few minutes and then turn it off. Well this time I forgot to turn it off, and my mash got way, way too hot.

I immediately poured in some cold water and brought it down to 150 relatively quickly, but I'm almost positive it was above 180 at one point in time.

I know there is nothing I can do now so I just continued anyways. I added my hops, and DME as scheduled, and hoped for the best.

Hopefully I didn't extract any tannins, and hopefully I extracted some fermentable sugars out of those 2lbs of grain before it stepd up above 180. I guess the only good news is that the majority of the gravity came from 6.6lbs of DME.

Now I wont mess with the burners during the mash. I don't even know why I was doing it in the first place - stupid mistake.

Venting done... :D

What was the OG, and what were the quantities of sugar/malt? 6.6 lbs DME (not LME?) and 2 lbs grains total?

Here is one of the best tips in the world.

Don't PM on your stove. Turn your oven on to it's lowest temp (mine is 170). Once you get your water to the right temp ON THE STOVE, turn your oven OFF, and put the pot into the OFF oven. Close the door and relax. The ambient temp in the oven will hold the mash at the right spot.

Don't PM on your stove. Turn your oven on to it's lowest temp (mine is 170). Once you get your water to the right temp ON THE STOVE, turn your oven OFF, and put the pot into the OFF oven. Close the door and relax. The ambient temp in the oven will hold the mash at the right spot.

yip. also it helps to have hot (pre boiled) and cool water on hand to adjust temps with. don't try to heat with a burner, only the bottom of your grain bed with warm up, and probably more than you'd like.

It will be fine at what point was it 180? Chances are it could have converted within a half an hour anyway.I wouldnt worry about tannins unless your ph was way off on your mash.I dont think tannins happen as often as people assume they do,it seems unlikely most of the time.
And yeah, stovetop you do have to babysit your temps some. You could always use the oven method or just wrap it in a bunch of blankets.

What was the OG, and what were the quantities of sugar/malt? 6.6 lbs DME (not LME?) and 2 lbs grains total?

I didn't take an OG, as I had my first boil over yesterday as well, and I was already super pissed. I will have beer in a few weeks, so we will see how it turns out.

Yes, 2lbs of grain - 1lb of cyrstal 20, and 1lb of munich
Yes, 6.6lbs of DME

Just like my OP said... :D

My oven only goes down to 200, and I think that is too high, but I have had better luck with just wrapping it in a towel. With the towel method I usually only lose 3-4 degrees. I was trying to be perfect this time...ha - didn't work so well.

It will be fine at what point was it 180? Chances are it could have converted within a half an hour anyway.I wouldnt worry about tannins unless your ph was way off on your mash.I dont think tannins happen as often as people assume they do,it seems unlikely most of the time.
And yeah, stovetop you do have to babysit your temps some. You could always use the oven method or just wrap it in a bunch of blankets.

I'm really not sure how long it set at a reasonable temp, or even how high it got. As soon as I saw what I had done I poured in about 2 cups of cold water. I think it was probably in the 160s for 30 minutes or so.

FG got down to 1.06 which was the goal. I was making Ed's stone clone. I just dry hopped it today, and tasted the sample. Best beer I've made so far. I guess I got lucky and the conversion happened before the temp got too high.

There could be some tannin bitterness, but it tastes like clean warrior bitterness, with a great centennial fruity finish to me.

Will beaming this again, but I'll be more careful next time. Haha.

We steeped grains on our electric stove before. I think it was "3",without looking at the notes to hold it dead on 160F. so mash temps shouldn't be too hard to adjust for,on ours anyway. We used a cake cooling rack on the bottom that fit my 5G ss BK to keep the grain bag off the bottom.
I used some twist ties to hold the floating thermometer off the bottom tied to the pot handle. Like a hangman's noose.

what he said

Im going to try this,is it safe to leave your thermometer in with the lid on or should you just take the thermometer out,seal the lid and stick it in the oven. My oven doesnt go below 170 either.

Heat it to 170, when it beeps preheated, turn it off. Finish your stove top process then put the pot inside.

I don't use a thermometer that could go in the oven, so, no advise on that front.

I can't remember if I used the lid. I brew AG in the garage now. It was really nice today for Jan. 7. For part of the afternoon I was just in a t-shirt and jeans. (inside the garage most of the time).

Back