Yeast Washed

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hwangnyc

Reaction score
How do I know if i properly washed and bottled the yeast? Also i used distilled water to wash the yeast will that be okay?

Did you boil and cool it first? Anyway, if it were tap water you boiled all the oxygen out of it.

As you washed did you pour the cloudy liquid into anoth sanitized container and pour the sediment down the drain? Several times? All you should be left with is cloudy water and no green floaties...just nice cream colored yeast.:D

Here are a couple of pics: The first one has the trub, yeast and yeasty cloudy water layers - easy to see. The second was poured off of the trub and the trub sent down the drain. :D

After the yeast settles in the second jar it's time to pour off most of the water and re-swirl the yeast to get it into suspension again and put it in smaller containers. I use the vials it came in and baby food jars. Just use a sanitized funnel.

PB110592.JPG

PB110598-00.jpg

I dident boil the distilled water. However it does look like your picture but much lighter. If i make a yeast starter will i be able to tell if the yeast was infected?

Back