regulator screw wont turn

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KuntzBrewing

Reaction score
My co2 regulator has a threaded screw with a T on the end to turn it. I can't get the thing to spin in the area to get the pressure to between 10-20psi. Is there a way to take these apart to see what's sticking?

mine has a nut that is a locking mechanism. The nut is on the screw, and snugged up against the regulator body. I have to back off the nut before I turn the screw. Would this work for you?

Ya i have the same set up. The nut isnt in the way. i took a wrench and tried spinning it, it seems pretty tight like the threads are ****ed up, but they look ok

The bell housing usually just screws on. Be sure to google a diagram of your regulator. Some of them can be tricky to get re-assembled.

Ya thats whats wrong, the screw has somehow got a bad couple of threads, and they are causing the screw to stop, i tried heating it to loosen up. Just made it worse. Anyone see a problem with cutting out that screw and re tapping the hole (incase the internal threads are messed up) and buying a new screw. The screw is so tight that while loosening it i bent the little arms comming out of the screw

Ya thats whats wrong, the screw has somehow got a bad couple of threads, and they are causing the screw to stop, i tried heating it to loosen up. Just made it worse. Anyone see a problem with cutting out that screw and re tapping the hole (incase the internal threads are messed up) and buying a new screw. The screw is so tight that while loosening it i bent the little arms comming out of the screw

Not entirely sure it will be that simple.

It could.

Of the few I have dissected, the "screw" had a nippled cap affixed to the end which compressed the spring that applies the pressure to the diaphram. I am sure you could source a replacement bell from teh manufacturer.

Might be just as easy to replace the regulator.

Is it old? If not, try contacting the seller and see if you can get a replacement. I know one retailer here on the board had a rash of faulty regs and was very supportive in making things right in the world.

Its like 6 years old. Its a taprite series 740. I would like to fix it since i works right just wont turn as of yesterday. Instead of buying a new one. Im trying to find a replacement cap for it if anyone knows where to find one

I'd suggest removing the bell housing and looking at the other end of the bolt before cutting it off. Like Gila mentioned, there's usually some sort of mechanism on the other side to push on the spring, and you want to be sure you can replicate that before chopping it into pieces. I did what you're describing with one of my regulators. The threads were so jacked that I had to tap them for the next size larger. I used a grinder to round over the end of the bolt, and then had to get creative to make a small metal cup that compresses the spring when the bolt pushes on it.

Ya the bolt is pointed.and has a little locking washer that keeps the screw from completely coming out

Im trying to find a replacement cap for it if anyone knows where to find one

These people will know.

Taprite Mfg., Inc.

3248 Northwestern Drive
San Antonio, TX 78238
(210) 523-0800
(210) 520-3035 Fax

Customer Service Dept.

(800) 779-8488
(210) 646-6009 Fax

FTR: My experience with this kind of thing is that, if you are pleasant on the phone with them, chances are high that you "may" get a free replacement. Has happened to me on a few occasions for bicycle parts, subwoofer parts, etc...

Ya the bolt is pointed.and has a little locking washer that keeps the screw from completely coming out

You can pop the snap ring off to get the bolt out. If you have to use a different bolt, just remember not to unscrew it all the way. Or put a little ring of jb-weld around the new bolt to serve the same purpose. Or get really fancy and cut a groove into the new bolt and put a snap ring on it.

My buddy is a team leader at chrysler. Im giving it to him to take to the machine repair/ fabricators to fix. Lol i told him to make it work. But try and reuse the screw and put a different "knob" on it instead of just a small bar

Back