Batch in secondary for 6 months

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rflem550

Reaction score
I should be ashamed of myself, but I've got to ask.:eek:

I have a red ale that I brewed back in March and it has been in the secondary for 6 months. I have been lazy and haven't gotten around to bottling it.

Think it's bad? Probably hasn't been capped off all that great either. It's got an airlock on it, but the water has evaporated in it a few times. Guess there is only one way to find out if it's still good.

Someone told me that all the yeast is probably spent and I should probably add some more when I bottle it. If that's true, how do I know how much to add?

I'd go ahead and give it a sniff, if it smells ok it's probably fine. Adding yeast can be dicey, too much and KABOOM. I'd keg and force carb if that's an option. Hope more experience weighs in for you.

I agree with the others- I'd taste it. If it's ok, I'd bottle. I probably would add about 1/4 package of dry yeast to the cooled priming solution in the bottling bucket, stir well, and then rack the beer into it. That should ensure enough viable yeast to carbonate.

cool, thanks for the info

guess i'll get around to it one of these days.

I also agree that it is probably still good. Will probably taste like arse do to the exposure to oxygen multiple times for probably days or hours. Drinkable i would say yes.................tasty i would definitly say no.

looks like there might be a thin film on the top of it with a tiny patch or two of mold

Back