Anyone try krausening to carbonate

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rcrabb22

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I have read about saving unpitched wort, referred to as gyle, right after flameout to use later in place of priming sugar. When it comes time to bottle, you re-boil the gyle for 10 min to re-sterilze and remove any acquired oxygen, let cool, and add back to fermented beer, then bottle.

I found a table that indicates I would need 1.5 quarts of gyle for a 5 gallon batch @ 1.040. Anyone try krausening to carbonate and if so how did it work out?

Thanks

I found a table that indicates I would need 1.5 quarts of gyle for a 5 gallon batch @ 1.040. Anyone try krausening to carbonate and if so how did it work out?

Yes, I did it when I first started in the late 80s. I found it to be less convenient so I use dextrose now.

In fact, I seem to remember that at the time one meaning of "all-grain" implied kraueseing; there were no non-grain sugars in the beer at all. Perhaps I am mis-remembering that, but I think I read that usage in zymurgy in that timeframe.

Back