A Little Help With Yeast Selection, Please

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Evets

Reaction score
You all have about an hour to help me out with this. I'm brewing an English IPA right now and can't decide weather to rack an APA which is not quite done and use the 05 cake or use a pack of Danstar Windsor. The APA has been fermenting for a week, now, and really is almost done. It's convenient and all but maybe the Windsor is a little more true to style. Whatcha think?

Nobody?
Well I'm leaning toward the Windsor, if for only that I've never used it before and I'm curious. I'll likely still rack the APA so I can use the carboy for the IPA, instead of a bucket. I hate buckets. ;)

I know its late but..... I would probably go with the windsor, dont know what hops you used with your APA or IPA, but pitching on the yeast cake you may get some American hop flavor in your English IPA....

My $0.02

I'd be inclined NOT to use the Windsor, just because it doesn't attenuate as much as I would like for an IPA. I'd take my chances with the potential American hops in the trub, which I can't imagine would have much of an effect (if any).

the_bird said:
I'd be inclined NOT to use the Windsor, just because it doesn't attenuate as much as I would like for an IPA. I'd take my chances with the potential American hops in the trub, which I can't imagine would have much of an effect (if any).

Oh Well, Too Late,
I racked the APA, cleaned the carboy and pitched the Windsor. I'm not as concerned about the attenuation as I am the flavor on this one. It's almost more of an experiment than anything. I'm sure it will be good.
All EKG hops, BTW.

Back