starting a new batch, to strain or not to strain

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fireball

Reaction score
just started a 1 gallon batch,

2 1/2lbs honey (1lb clover, 1 1/2 generic table)
1/2 teaspoon yeast nutrient
zest from one large orange

I haven't pitched yeast yet or decided which to use but considering the sugar content will likely go for dry with EC1118.

here's the Q's, I have the zest soaking in the must, should I strain it off or ferment for a week? my first batch is getting more pithy as it gets drier, I'll likely put it into a sealed pet bottle this week and let it finish and age there, it's at 1.004 and hanging there.

Joe's lists cinnamon, cloves and raisins, should I add? raisins and cloves are not high on my preferred food list......

My 2 Cents...I'd Leave it. Not Only leave it, but I would also leave it till it all settles out.
I have some JOAm that is just over a month now...and it ain't great by my standards. I would like to try what you've got...in fact I think I will get a gallon going if I can store good oranges tomorrow.

I hit it with a dash of cinnamon and pitched my last pack of bread yeast this morning. left room for krausen and will be topping off with bottled water once it settles down, should come out in the 10-11% range.

It will settle out. I have a batch of the JAO mead going to and dont see what everybody likes about it so far. To date it is the worst thing Ive made and Ive been making 100 gallons of wine for the last 4 years. I have made many frozen concentrate wines and many meads that are way better then this stuff but to each their own.

Back