Must Brews.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Orfy

For the love of beer!
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I started a thread months ago and didn't get much of a response. Time to try again.
I'm looking for maybe the top 10.
Last time I got.....

Edowrt's Apfelwein
Cheese's CCA
Orfy's Hob Goblin

Out of it.
Do those three still stand?
What are the Seven we are missing?

Edit.

I'm going to try and build the list.
  1. CCA
  2. Hob Goblin
  3. Haus Pale Ale
  4. AG Dogfish Head 60 Minute Clone
  5. Pliny The Bastid
  6. Ó F Standard
  7. Bee Cave Brewery Kölsch
  8. Bee Cave Brewery Bavarian Hefeweizen
  9. Old Speckled Hen
  10. A good Belgian Blonde
  11. Boddingtons Pub Ale
  12. Apfelwein

Cheese's CCA is probably one of the more popular brews here, but it gets some very serious mixed reactions. You either love it or hate it.

Ed's Haus Pale Ale on the other hand is something that appeals to a lot of people and it's simple enough to ease a new brewer into AG. :) That was, if it wasn't obvious, my vote to ADD Ed's Hause Pale to that list. :)

I thought Walker's Kaduva IPA (I believe that is it...) was pretty darn good when I brewed it and I recall it being pretty popular around here before...

Dude's Celebration Ale clone?

Just spitballing here...

Yoopers DFH clone? I think it's been brewed a bit. I used that recipe as a starting point and created my own kickaxx IPA.

+1 to EdWort's Haus Pale. Was my first AG, and also my 3rd, since I just had to brew more of it when the first keg kicked!

Yooper's DFH60 recipe seems extremely popular as well. I've got a batch fermenting, suppose I shouldn't vote for it until it's finished though ;)

When I think Yooper, I think Fat Tire clone. :) I'm pretty sure I've seen that more than her DFH, but that might be because I don't like DFH...

You can definitely add EdWort's Haus Pale. I made three batches of it just playing with the hops.

Joe's Ancient Orange Mead should probably be #11, it is easy and has been an intro for a lot of folks. Stand by.

Hmmm. Gone, no linky. There was a thread in the mead section that went to three pages (at least) and had Joe's Ancient Orange Mead posted by Yooper Brew on page two. At the time I though Yooper was some guy named Joe...a paid subscription promptly cured me of that of course.

I'd say a good, well rounded top-10 should cover 10 different (widely acceptable) styles.

We gotta land on a Kolsch, a Blonde, a Wit, an APA, IPA, Mild, Ordinary Bitters, ESB, Stout...

For me personally, a "must brew" is any beer I've tried and refuse to spend $7.99 for a sixer:

Old Speckled Hen
A good Belgian Blonde
Boddingtons Pub Ale
Belgian Wit

But at my pace, if there's a recipe out there...I'm gonna brew it soon. :D

I'd realy like to get this coplilation of HBT must brews.

I'd like an honest debate.

How about we go for 10 must brest and maybe 5 or 10 worth a try.

I think The CCA should be in the shousld try because I've heard plenty of people say they are not impressed.
Same with the Apfelwein because it's not beer.
I don't think enough people have brewed the OSH yet.
I've never Noticed OF standard being mentioned (Must of missed it)

So far it looks like this. More than happy to alter. (Can we do this by Polls)

Must Brews...(In no order)
  1. Hob Goblin
  2. Haus Pale Ale
  3. AG Dogfish Head 60 Minute Clone
  4. Pliny The Bastid
  5. Bee Cave Brewery Kölsch
  6. Bee Cave Brewery Bavarian Hefeweizen
  7. https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=35679A good Belgian Blonde
  8. Boddingtons Pub Ale
Also worth trying
  1. CCA
  2. Apfelwein
  3. Old Speckled Hen

Do we add these?

1. Ó F Standard
What Beirmuncher favorites are we talking about?

I say we add CCA back into the must brews. The thread's so damn big, you MUST brew it to determine if it's worth all the hype, even if you don't like it.

Hell, it should be a required option before getting out of n00b status.

And since Apfelwine is on the forum and is hugely popular (even moreso than CCA), I think it should go back on the list.

Just searching the recipe database and sorting by # of replies:

Bee Cave Brewery Haus Pale Ale (Multi-page thread 1 2 3 ... Last Page)
EdWort

Dogfish Head 60 Minute Clone (Multi-page thread 1 2 3 ... Last Page)
YooperBrew

Ó Flannagáin Standard (Multi-page thread 1 2 3 ... Last Page)
Ó Flannagáin

Oatmeal Stout (Multi-page thread 1 2 3 ... Last Page)
Lil' Sparky

Thunderstruck Pumpkin Ale (Multi-page thread 1 2 3 ... Last Page)
Yuri_Rage

Richard's Pumpkin Ale (Multi-page thread 1 2 3)
RichBrewer

Bee Cave Brewery Kölsch (Multi-page thread 1 2 3)
EdWort

Centennial Blonde (Simple 4% All Grain, 5 & 10 Gall) (Multi-page thread 1 2 3)
BierMuncher

Blue Balls Belgian Wit (aka Blue Moon) (Multi-page thread 1 2 3)
BierMuncher

Pliny The Bastid (Multi-page thread 1 2 3)

+1 for the Bavarian Hefe. I've made this twice and I love it......ready to drink in 3 weeks. Good beer to brew if your supply is starting to run low.

I just brewed Ó Flannagáin's Standard and in about a week it will be ready for drinking, but from what I could tell from my samples, it was exactly what I was hoping for in a simple stout.

The thread itself has few replies/views, but Orpheus has a Oaked IIPA that received rave reviews. The recipe is in the thread, or you can find it here.

I'm not what the criteria for a "must brew" are, but after seeing Yooper and BM's comments about how incredible it is, it's on my list. :D

Biermuncher's OktoberFAST Ale is on my to-brew list for this week. Also Cheese's Amarillo Cream Ale (thank gads for paper copies!). Both of these received rave reviews in the threads I was reading, and appealed to me more than any of the standard session/haus beers did. FWIW I haven't gotten around to most of the recipes you're talking about - but by gad, I've done CCA, Apfelwein and Hobgoblin. They were batches #4, 5, and 7 for me. :D

Poindexter said:
There was a thread in the mead section that went to three pages (at least) and had Joe's Ancient Orange Mead posted by Yooper Brew on page two. At the time I though Yooper was some guy named Joe...a paid subscription promptly cured me of that of course.

Is it just me, or is that hysterically funny. Me, a guy named Joe! :D

I "stole" the JAOM from a different site that's why credit goes to Joe Mattioli. I do have it printed out somewhere and can repost in the mead area, if it's gone now.

YooperBrew said:

I "stole" the JAOM from a different site that's why credit goes to Joe Mattioli. I do have it printed out somewhere and can repost in the mead area, if it's gone now.

Or you can put it in your drop down. Or PM it to me and I'll put it in my drop down. Or something. I'll grant JAOM isn't "beer", but it is still a terrific recipe, easy to brew and it makes the panties drop. YMMV of course.

Poindexter said:
...but it is still a terrific recipe, easy to brew and it makes the panties drop. YMMV of course.

Boxers perhaps? It makes the boxers drop? Or, if you're in a particularly racy crowd, I guess it could make speedos and thongs drop. Or perhaps just make pants drop, if they might happen to be free-ballin' it that day.

chriso said:
Boxers perhaps? It makes the boxers drop? Or, if you're in a particularly racy crowd, I guess it could make speedos and thongs drop. Or perhaps just make pants drop, if they might happen to be free-ballin' it that day.

Ok, so put it in the top five alternatives after the top ten beers. Either way, you too can score with JAOM.

I don't see a dark stout on the list yet orfy. Not that I have a nominee..

Poindexter said:
I don't see a dark stout on the list yet orfy. Not that I have a nominee..

We could put BrewPastor's 8/8/8 RIS up. *shrug*

Speaking of which - there should be more of the Pastor's brews on this list!

YooperBrew said:

Call me crazy but I've never thought of you as I guy named Joe. ;)

One vote for Edwort's Stone IPA for the clone section. Outstanding recipe, very easy to make and very close to the original. If I remember correctly he did not come up with the recipe (is that right?) but he did post it and has received a lot of credit for it.

Back