Dextrose mishap

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

suddsy83

Reaction score
Ok so my first attempt at a partial mash was going awesome.. I started with 150g of Choc malt cracked and fuggles hops, boiled for 6mins then steeped for 14mins. Added an amber ale extract and extra liquid malt to the fermenter. Topped with the strained and sparged mash. Then topped with cold water up until the 23ltr mark.. Missed something!! The dextrose!! ****!! So I added it before pitching my yeast.. Made sure it was well stirred in then pitched at the 23 deg mark. It's bubbling away atm but I am weary.. Has anyone made this mistake? Is it a mistake??.. If the dextrose wasn't fully dissolved, Will the yeast still ferment the undissolved sugars? Any help will be great.

I'm really confused as to your process. You did a partial mash, yet you still steeped some chocolate malt? You boiled the hops and chocolate malt for a few minutes? You added LME right to the fermenter and you didn't boil the runnings from your mash?

You should be fine. Not boiling the LME or dextrose is fine. Perhaps a slight risk of contamination with the dextrose, but nothing to worry about.

There may be some confusion of terms here. It sounds like you steeped the grains, not a partial mash.

Ahhh ok my appologies, I did boil my grains for about 6mins then switched the heat off for about 14mins. Steeping the grains. Sorry bout the confusion. I really appreciate the comments, I was worried that the sugars won't ferment but I have a very active fermentation going on right now, bubbling away nicely. Another question though, if I boiled the grains (cracked grains) at a high heat, for the time I did, and then steeped them, for the time I did. Will I release undesirable tanins because of the heat? It was only for about 20mins in total.

Look, I'm new to this, it was an extract can of amber ale, I wanted to add some additional flavour, so I added some cracked Choc malt grains. I brought about 4 liters up to the boil, added the grains for 6mins, then turned off the gas. I then let it steep for 14mins. I have written this about 3 times now I think. Again, new to this, looking for help, not criticism.. I'd like to know if I have done something wrong, what the outcome would be. If I shouldn't boil the grains, then why? What should have I done? Just steep?? And at what temp? Just here for some help, that way next brew I'll be better.

Boiling the grains directly can extract harsh- or astringent-tasting tannins from the grain husks, and can also caramelize some of the sugars.

Your beer probably isn't ruined -- heck, some styles do this exact thing intentionally, known as a "decoction mash" -- but you'll probably have some flavors in there you weren't looking for, per se.

Next time, don't heat your steeping grains hotter than 170° F or so.

However, what you do probably want to do is take the run-off from your steeped grains, top it up to a couple of gallons worth, add about half your extract, then boil that for 60 minutes, adding hops at appropriate times (e.g., if the recipe lists 60-minute hops, add them right at the start of the boil, 5-minute hops 5 minutes before your hours of boiling is up, etc). Add the rest of your extract when you've got 15 minutes left in your boil.

Feinbera, you are awesome. The exact info I was looking for. I was afraid I ruined the batch by boiling, but I think I should be ok. I won't boil the water next time, keep it at nice 170F. I will totally do what you said next brew. Thanks a bunch! :)

You probably haven't ruined it, but be aware that a decoction is usually done with a thick portion of the mash, so you have a lot of grain in little water which holds the pH down and stops the tannins being extracted from the grains.If you've just got a few ounces of grain in boiling water then you've probably pulled some tannins out, exactly as you would do when making tea.

FWIW, I usually steep grains at about 160F, as it gives you a margin of error below 170 and seems to work just fine. You're not actually mashing something like chocolate malt unless you have some base malt in there to provide the conversion enzymes, you're just after the flavours.

Look, I'm new to this, it was an extract can of amber ale, I wanted to add some additional flavour, so I added some cracked Choc malt grains. I brought about 4 liters up to the boil, added the grains for 6mins, then turned off the gas. I then let it steep for 14mins. I have written this about 3 times now I think. Again, new to this, looking for help, not criticism.. I'd like to know if I have done something wrong, what the outcome would be. If I shouldn't boil the grains, then why? What should have I done? Just steep?? And at what temp? Just here for some help, that way next brew I'll be better.

Wasn't trying to be an ass. If I had read your post wrong there was no reason to explain further. Sorry if it came across as criticism.

Anyway, the reason you don't boil the way you did has been mentioned already. I will say this. Do not steep at 170 degrees, as 170 is the absolute highest you can go without pulling tannins (at least for you needs). It depends on the recipe, but I would steep the grains for 30 min at around 155-160...depending on what type of grains you're working with.

Now, as to what you can expect with your method. Yes, I can almost guarantee you will notice some astringency in the beer, and if you're lucky it will disappear during bottle conditioning. If not, it will still be drinkable, and might disappear over time.

Yeah all good. I was looking for more of a smoother finish to this beer too.. Looks like that might be out the window due to the boiling of the grain and subsequent extracting of tannins. Will it give a acidulous, unpleasant flavour? What am I too expect with such disregard to the well being of the grains.. Lol

I can't tell you exactly how it will finish. My best guess is that the finish will make you pucker, and seem really dry. Not even sure how accurate that is, as astringency is a bit of an odd sensation and may differ slightly from person to person.

Like I said, it may go away after bottle conditioning and refrigeration.

Any way of perhaps adding honey at the priming stage instead of sugar to help with the astringency??

Do you think adding honey instead of priming sugar will help with the astringency if its there?

For the most part honey tastes just like any other sugar in beer. It takes several pounds to really make a noticeable change. (like in mead)

Do you think adding honey instead of priming sugar will help with the astringency if its there?

It won't, the amount of honey you would need is far more than priming would allow.

Honestly, I wouldn't try to change it at this point. Just prime as usual and hope for the best.

I am assuming this was a pre-hopped extract kit you were adding to? If not you don't have any bittering additions in this brew.

chickypad said:
I am assuming this was a pre-hopped extract kit you were adding to? If not you don't have any bittering additions in this brew.

Yeah it was a kit, but I added some Fuggles hops at the boil... Probably not a good idea8

Yeah it was a kit, but I added some Fuggles hops at the boil... Probably not a good idea8

No, that would be okay if you wanted to add a little hop flavor/aroma as you only boiled it 6 minutes. Kits can come pre-hopped or not, I was just making sure that you did in fact have a no-boil kit that was already hopped. Sounds like you probably did. I would just let this thing ride and don't do any more tinkering with additions, it will likely be fine.
:mug:

Back