Help! Possible mold in secondary?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

worxman02

Reaction score
Hi, I racked my Belgian wit to secondary last Wednesday, and I went to check on it today and I found stuff growing on top. It looks like little colonies of bacteria. Its white spots with greasy looking rings around it. This the first time I have done a 2 stage fermentation and I'm not familiar with what it should look like.

Is this just the yeast or should I be concerned? It doesn't look hairy like mold. I was very careful about sanitizing and cleaning all my equipment.

Sorry for the bad cell phone pics:

weirdbeer1.jpg

weirdbeer2.jpg

ok. thanks. they really do look like cultures of stuff growing. Ill trust you though and ill check on the beer in another 2 days and ill try to get a better picture.

If you look close they may be real tiny clusters of bubbles. I had that in one of mine once and everything worked out well. Sometimes floating yeast attaches to some of the CO2 that comes out of suspension when the beer is transferred. If it tastes good then proceed as planned. Good Luck

As Don Ho would say - "Tiny bubbles..." - the same thing happens to me about half the time when I rack to secondary, you're agitating the yeast and they're giving off just a bit of CO2.

Thanks so much guys. I knew that I shouldn't worry. I'm just being extra OCD cause I want to impress my gf's dad with my brewing skills.

Oh and I would RDWHAHB but I'm at work so that might not be a good idea just yet.

You'd think as many times as this has been asked someone would nudge the moderator and have them start working on a sticky FAQ.

warped04 said:
Are you sure about that? ;) You might impress people, if you bust out a bottle of homebrew at lunch time :p

I work in a small architectural firm with only my boss as the other person here. I already informed him that I homebrew and promised to bring him some.:mug:

That's what is great about this site. I think that FAQ stiffle conversation. This way someone has to ask the question and someone will inevitably answer.

Instead of going to a mundane, cold, FAQ post to search inevitably for some answer you will not like or do not want to hear. Without it, people give different points of view and answers which are more accepting to the general public.

- WW:tank:

Back