English Mild

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just had my first mild last week from dry dock. It was really excellent, definitely on my to brew list.

kaboom505 said:
Did the Northern Brewing mild and the AK47. Both seemed thin compared to other similar extract recipes (scottish 60 and an ordinary bitter from Santa Fe homebrewing) that I've done. The NB extract kits all had a half pound or more of sugar - that's a significant portion of the fermentables for such a low gravity beer. I wonder if that's possibly a source of the "thinness"?

The all DME with specialty grains ordinary bitter from SF Homebrewing is the best we've done so far. Very tasty with some recycled Neobrittanea yeast from the NB mild...

To be fair, just checked the recipe for the NB mild ale and there is no sugar listed in the ingredients. Perhaps the kits been changed since you brewed it? There is sugar in the AK, and that's odd I agree.

Judging by the amount of head on that thing, it looks like you've overcarbed it. The long list I saw earlier in this thread only had one mild on it (at least that I recall seeing). Fuller's Chiswick Bitter is pretty widely available, it's about 3.5% and fits the bill flavorwise. I had it on tap drawn by a beer engine at cellar temperature and that makes a big difference. I will say that I have done a lot of beer styles and milds/ordinary bitters are extremely challenging, even more so than Light American Lagers. Getting a lot of flavor out of so few ingredients is not an easy task. When serving make sure it isn't overcarbed or too cold.

Picture was taken immediately after a VERY aggressive pour. it's carbed to about 1.8 volumes. Very nice soft mild carbonation.

I've been all about the hops lately, and I would like a change of pace. I would normally think of going towards a stout, or porter, but summer is around the corner, and this style intrigues me.

Only one problem: I don't think I've ever had one.

Anyone know of a beer that is fairly representative of the style that I can get my hands on in the Dallas, TX area?

It's advertised as a seaweed ale, but Williams Brothers' Kelpie is basically a mild. I've only had it once, but it tasted nothing like seaweed to me. On the back label, it says it's a chocolate ale, which is exactly what it tastes like. It's 4.0 abv which is on the high side for a mild, I guess, but it's definitely an easy drinker. The ingredients just list malted barley. I'm amazed that chocolate malt can actually taste so chocolatey.

To be fair, just checked the recipe for the NB mild ale and there is no sugar listed in the ingredients. Perhaps the kits been changed since you brewed it? There is sugar in the AK, and that's odd I agree.

I was wrong - twice! It was the NB Bitter not Mild and it did not have sugar. The AK47 did though.

Living life on the mild side...

Homercidal] My recipe was based on Orfy's Mild Mannered recipe: [URL="https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f67/mild-mannered-ale-ag-e-uk-us-52776/ said:
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f67/mild-mannered-ale-ag-e-uk-us-52776/[/URL]

Do this one, mash it high (158*) and you can drink it if you keg in 10 days. and it probably costs $15 to make!

Do this one, mash it high (158*) and you can drink it if you keg in 10 days. and it probably costs $15 to make!

I think that link is broken, but I know which one you're talking about. I would have to make a few small changes, but I think it will still be good.

I guess that's one of the points of homebrewing: I can't find what I'm looking for, so I'll just make my own damn beer. :ban:

I posted this in another thread with no luck. What do you guys think?

Sorry if this was already covered, but I can only partial mash so I was wondering if this looked like a good recipe to you guys. I have EKG on hand so that's another substitue I'll making.

2.1lb Muntons Light DME
1lb 2-row
1lb Victory
1.5lb Crystal 60L (Crisp, UK)
6 oz Chocolate malt (Crisp, UK)

1 oz EKG 5% at 40 minutes
1 oz EKG 5% at 10 minutes

I'll have to check the actual AA of the EKG I have, and then line up the boil times to correctly match the IBUs, but you get the idea.

Thanks in advance.

definitely just go ahead and brew your own as it'll be a rare day you'll find a fresh one without some digging around.

I brewed one a few months back with a modified version of Jamil's recipe and its been cleaning up in local competitions.

as for a recipe, use marris otter base if available, a 5-10% crystal 40/60, 5-10% brown malt and only a few ounces of PALE chocolate to give that nice super toasty but definitely not roasted flavor to it.

best of luck

Cheers

Rebel Brewer carries Crystal Marris Otter. I recently used it in conjunction with marris otter in a brown ale, really like how it came out. When I do my mild I will probably use the crystal MO again.

burkecw said:
definitely just go ahead and brew your own as it'll be a rare day you'll find a fresh one without some digging around.

I brewed one a few months back with a modified version of Jamil's recipe and its been cleaning up in local competitions.

as for a recipe, use marris otter base if available, a 5-10% crystal 40/60, 5-10% brown malt and only a few ounces of PALE chocolate to give that nice super toasty but definitely not roasted flavor to it.

best of luck

Cheers

Well I can only partial mash right now, so I can't really use marris otter. That's why I threw in the victory. Check out my recipe right above...seem ok?

Swap out the 2-row for MO. I BIAB and partial mash and use Marris Otter all the time.

Genjin said:
Swap out the 2-row for MO. I BIAB and partial mash and use Marris Otter all the time.

Ok so would I drop the Victory then?

I could mash up to 3lb of MO with the rest of the specialty grains.

Or would it need to be like 2.5lb MO and .5lb victory to make up for the DME.

Back